Numan Discos 1980s

• 4 years later...
Reason I was interested, I used to be part of the 80's Numan disco's in Sheffield.

They began with four of us organizing the disco's, I worked on ticket sales and Poster design. Remembering back the initial idea came from someone called the ICEMAN, who put the music side together, then he found a dj who was into Numan and I designed the tickets and another friend joined us.

The iceman decided to drop out shortly after so we carried it on.

I took over promoting it, the dj stayed with us a friend had a van we used for transporting the equipment about and so on.

We gained interest from as far as Scotland to Cornwall who travelled up to Sheffield. There were an Hotel in Netheredge where

the Numan Fans would meet up. Then the day after at Mcdonalds in the City Centre.

Gary only came to one at the end after playing the City Hall, also the Human League girls Suzanne and Joanne came to one because they worked with our dj.

The Limit Club on west street was another meeting place during the week for a small group of Sheffield Numan fans.

The disco's were difficult at times not enough hours in the day.

They became a chore near the end.

We used our own lighting at times, smoke machines can't remember the intro's we used but one was The Steps by Visage.

We staged them at then Stars on Queens Road. Other Disco's I went along to at that time were staged in Manchester, Huddersfield, Redditch, Stockport, Bolton, Greater Manchester, London.

I'm not sure if there was other Sheffield Numan Disco's but there was only 3 of us, we were David Beevers, Harvey Pearce and John Hickman (Iceman) anyone who claims to be part of the gigs we did at Stars is lying, there was definitely no DJ, we did it ourselves.

• 3 years later...

I remember going to most of the Numan Discos  at Stars from 88 onwards , they were phenomenal .

I remember one where they had a up a wall with  " The Park" over the entrance ,to mark ten years since Down in the Park was released .

Fab nights , great people , even better music ................ I'd still come over to Stars if a night was arranged ...... and call at Chicken A gogo on the A57  afterwards 

In fact , the Sheffield discos were the inspiration for me to do my own in Manchester  , they were well attended ............................... hope the Numanoids who attended enjoyed and would be pleased if anyone remembers them .

so COME ON Sheffield , lets have a proper Numan  night at Stars 

• 10 months later...
On 13/02/2020 at 08:27, Dreampolice said:

I remember going to most of the Numan Discos  at Stars from 88 onwards , they were phenomenal .

I remember one where they had a up a wall with  " The Park" over the entrance ,to mark ten years since Down in the Park was released .

Fab nights , great people , even better music ................ I'd still come over to Stars if a night was arranged ...... and call at Chicken A gogo on the A57  afterwards 

In fact , the Sheffield discos were the inspiration for me to do my own in Manchester  , they were well attended ............................... hope the Numanoids who attended enjoyed and would be pleased if anyone remembers them .

so COME ON Sheffield , lets have a proper Numan  night at Stars 

I went to several of the Numan discos at Stars and knew John Hickman and a chap called Mark Burton from there. I was pretty young at the time but I'm fairly sure I went between 87 and 92. I remember the "The Park" entrance that they used. I absolutely used to look forward all year to those gatherings - almost as much as to the gigs themselves.