Tennants brewery millsands

anyone remember working there in the early 1960s? people i remember working with were Brian Scarlett who was a great singer (tenor) and he drove a fork truck,I also recall Mick Fothergill (i think thats his sirname) plus Jack Ford ,les Garforth,Horace Barlow.

2 brothers named harry/Sammy Rudge ran the transport operation.

A long time ago and i guess some of them will have passed on.

yes I remember the Rudge brothers, sadly they have both past away, Sam moved to Tinsley depot along with Jack Ford when it opened around 1974, I worked with his son Pete,regarding Harry I remember when his funeral was held at city road, there was a convoy of Brewery drays parked outside the cemetry.

yes I remember the Rudge brothers, sadly they have both past away, Sam moved to Tinsley depot along with Jack Ford when it opened around 1974, I worked with his son Pete,regarding Harry I remember when his funeral was held at city road, there was a convoy of Brewery drays parked outside the cemetry.

I also remember Pete,I think he played football for Tinsley depot in the old Brussels Trophy.

I ended up working for Tennants/Whitbread for 40 years..thanks for the other info!!

• 2 weeks later...

I worked at Porter Wrights on Millsands we were the retail wine and spirit merchants owned by Tennants (later Whitbreads). I remember Jack Ford, Big Don the drayman and Ernest Simpson who worked for Porters then moved to tennants.

Our boss was Max Cockayne, I worked with Mick Lee who became a landlord of the Greengate at High Green, Fiveways Motel and the Mulberry Arundel Gate.

I worked at Porter Wrights on Millsands we were the retail wine and spirit merchants owned by Tennants (later Whitbreads). I remember Jack Ford, Big Don the drayman and Ernest Simpson who worked for Porters then moved to tennants.

Our boss was Max Cockayne, I worked with Mick Lee who became a landlord of the Greengate at High Green, Fiveways Motel and the Mulberry Arundel Gate.

I remember Porters well,when it closed i helped to move all the office stuff,by the way did you know that big Don died 2 or 3 years ago?..kind regards

• 3 years later...
My mum has a bottle of Tennents, my dads friend got it she still, has it in her cupboard I wouldn`t want to drink it now it was one of the last ones before they closed down nearly 18 years ago. :)

Tennants, not the Scottish brewery Tennents....I have bottles of nip Gold Label given to everyone who worked for Whitbread in 1962. The Queen pressed the button which started the process,I think it may have been the Luton brewery.

Always thought it was spelt 'Tenants' as opposed to Scottish brewery 'Tennents'?

Have I been wrong all these years?

Edited to add: Just to answer my own question I have looked at an old photo and it was 'TennAnts' as opposed to Scottish 'TennEnts'

Bit of senility setting in:loopy:

Tennant Brothers.

Thanks.

I recall once drinking a couple of pints of their 'Queens' brew when I was sixteen and went with the blokes for a lunchtime drink, I was all over the place for the rest of the day and my older and seasoned drinking workmates weren't much better, I didn't appreciate it at the time but it was a great brew and potent with it.

Archived