The Carrier-Bag Ban...Please Join in!!

I agree! I ALWAYS use my carrier bags as bin bags - I live alone in an apartment, the bin store is a good walk away so carrier bags are the perfect size. Surely using carrier bags as bin bags cuts down on the use of 'official' bin liners or is there a difference in the material they are made of?

I do the same as you, I don't buy bin liners but I reuse carrier bags.

I agree! I ALWAYS use my carrier bags as bin bags - I live alone in an apartment, the bin store is a good walk away so carrier bags are the perfect size. Surely using carrier bags as bin bags cuts down on the use of 'official' bin liners or is there a difference in the material they are made of?

Most carrier bags nowadays are advertised as degradable, however this process takes about 2 years to entirely complete, that's why the carrier bags end up in land fills etc, choking birds, and in some cases they end up in the sea causing grave danger to seals and turtles, so no i don't think its wrong using carrier bags for bin liners... but where do they go afterwards?

if the supermarkets are starting to charge for carrier bags, why dont they offer free paper bags like they do in the UK as an alternative? I tend to do the same as many other posters and re-use old carrierbags fo rubbish.

I try not to use them and recycle as much as possible, but I dont think they should be banned.

They should just encourage the use of larger plastic crates which can be reused.

For instance a 24 crate of bottled beer in a plastic crate can have the empties returned to be reused in the brewing process to the place of purchase (and manafacture) pretty easily.

How often does it happen though, most people throw stuff away which is a readibly useable resource.

The people who throw away carrier bags, are likely to throw away the 'bags for LIFE' (the time for them to degrade is probably much longer).

Oooo...I shall look out a suitably scuzzy Netto plastic carrier to hold my shopping (such as it is at their prices :hihi:)....from M&S.

And if anyone looks at my bag as I am walking out...I shall say...

Its not any bag....its a Netto bag :lol:

If I only buy a few bits like if I go to Marks and Spencer on my lunch and get a sandwich, paper, drink I don't get a bag. But to be honest if I go to the supermarkets or buy a piece of clothing I tend to use them and not worry what happens to the bag.

I refuse them when possible but if I need them I need them and don't carry cloth bags around with me.......................sorry.

Am I right in thinking that Ireland already have a law to charge for carrier bags? And that it's mostly a tax? Yet another excuse for this government to rake in money under the guise of sound economic policy?

Archived