The Carrier-Bag Ban...Please Join in!!

Take a walk down any local riverbank and see for yourself what a problem they can become.

Trees with plastic bags for trimmings, clogged sections largely full of discarded bags. It looks awful, a testimony to a loss of connectedness to our surroundings.

When you see what nature has given us and then look at what we're doing to it the choice becomes simpler.

Bio-degradable rubbish sacks are freely available. The cotton shopping bags now on sale at a good few places are stronger, longer lasting and are very cheap.

I've made it sound like a bit of a sermon I guess but don't be put off by me. (I'm having a senior moment) :D

• 3 weeks later...

In Spain/France/Italy the larger supermarkets like Carrefour, Eroski, Auchan etc don't allow you to take bags into their stores. At the entrance to the store security wrap them in a see through sealed bag. I can only assume this is done to discourage shoplifting. Although I agree with the reduced use of carrier bags, aren't the shops going to notice an increase in shoplifting when people are shopping with the bags in the trolley??

Since somewhere in Ireland banned plastic bags in shops they've actually found that more plastic waste is being disposed of than before...

We stayed in County Wexford last year and they were charging for carriers there. We stayed in a remote cottage and there was no bin collection, so all our rubbish had to be taken to the recycling bins up the road, the plastic bottle one was overflowing and the site was an eyesore, rubbish everywhere. The one thing though as beautiful as Ireland was, the amount of rubbish left on the beaches was disgusting, bottles, cans, plastic it really spoilt it for us.

The carrier bag thing is a drop in the ocean compared to the excess packaging that comes with the goods we buy.

For example....if we all did our weekly (or daily) shop as we do....then took a little time to take off all the unnecessary packaging (why do bananas come in plastic bags for instance) and then handed it back to the customer service counter saying this is the packaging I don't need thank you....then maybe the supermarkets might just get the message that this is a problem that far exceeds the carrier bags. :)

This is so true and sometimes after putting away my weekly shop, I could fill a plastic bag with cartons and wrappers that my purchases have been packed in. A lot of the cartons are not recyclable as well, it's an absolute hypocricy

• 2 years later...
if the supermarkets are starting to charge for carrier bags, why dont they offer free paper bags like they do in the UK as an alternative? I tend to do the same as many other posters and re-use old carrierbags fo rubbish.

acherly in some states in the US they use carboard boxes to put stuff in but most people in the states have cars to put it all in boots so i thik that there should be a shelve for the cardboard boxes that they use for others to use so they get to be recycalled and offer a point scheme where you get 2 points per box returned collect 1,000 thats a £1 off you next shopping alright for somthing for nothing know thats publisity

We were in Queensland Australia a couple of years ago where they had just completely banned plastic bags in every single shop - it's amazing how quickly you learn to take reuseable bags to the shops with you when you've had to carry everything home in your arms!

Got to love those aussies! More info here http://www.zerowaste.sa.gov.au/plastic-bags

i have two coats i mainly wear and they have large pouch pockets on the front.....when i go to the local shops i put most of the smaller stuff in those (like 5 bags of crisps or a couple of cans of beer etc

instead of getting a carrier everytime

Tickled me I'm afraid. Nothing like saving the world while filling up with a good healthy sustaining diet..:hihi:

Archived