Prisoner of war camps sheffield

roger

which parts of the cross were built by them.

please tell me more.

And did they have anything to with the shiregreen estate.

Ironic really my grandad was a prisoner of war in germany and his trade was a bricklayer anyway.

wonder if they had them building over there.

Any info about this subject i would be grateful.

tara.

Originally posted by malxx

back in the 70s I used to go out with a girl called Susan knaggs her grandfather had a car spares called "Freds motor spares" at Burngreave (still there different name!) painted direct onto the walls in the upstairs rooms were large murals which Fred claimed were done by the prisoners of war (how the prisoners came to be in Freds shop lord knows!)

Does any one know the whereabouts of Sue knaggs? she was a professional ice skater in the 70s.

After the war ended it was some time before prisoners could be released and repatriated. In the meantime groups were sent out of the camps to work, and some were billeted where they worked, so maybe there was a working party billeted there for a while.

Originally posted by tara

please tell me more.

Ironic really my grandad was a prisoner of war in germany and his trade was a bricklayer anyway.

tara.

As far as I am aware, the houses on ''New'' Parson Cross were built by a number of private building companies under contract to Sheffield Corporation in 1947. Each house is said to have cost approx £200.

Early residents were invited to lay the paving slab footpaths for a bit of extra cash so I don't know what the POW's did - maybe just the concrete roads.

Originally posted by tara

please tell me more.

tara.

Hi Tara,

My Gran lived in Parson Cross for years (although she always claimed it was Ecclesfield! :hihi: ) and I remember she told me that St. Michael's Road and St. Margaret's crescent were built by the POWs. They were concrete at the time, but that was in the late eighties. Don't know if they have been resurfaced now...

K x

Originally posted by butch1954uk

there were prisoners stationed @

Firbeck near to maltby during the 2nd world war

I think it was at Ravenfield for Italian POW's.

My dad was stationed there as a guard; rehabilitation after being wounded on the Normandy Landings.

He had a cigarrete lighter given to him by one of the POW's who had been a jeweller/ silversmith in civvy street.

It had been made out of cutlery from the camp & beautifully engraved with Mum & Dad's names.

Originally posted by Tony

There was an Italian POW camp on the upper field behind what was Hunshelf Secondary Modern at Chapeltown / Ecclesfield. I've seen old aerial photos of the layout in the past. Be interesting to see them again.

Here is what it looks like now

Interesting photo Tony.

The 'parch marks' in the fields to the right look very clear.

Last year whilst on holiday in Spain - we got talking (like you do) to an elderly welsh couple - he just turned out to the camp electrician at Redmires PoW camp during the war. He hated it, seems it was always going off and the weather was generally poor (funny that 60 years on and its still the same!)

Small world.

• 4 weeks later...
Originally posted by Unregistered

I don't know where they were stationed but they certainly left their mark.

Wordsworth Avenue was originally all concrete. At it's junction with Margetson Crescent, right on the corner outside the Wordsworth Tavern, there is an inscription in the gutter made by them in the wet concrete.

Unfortunately it was all covered in Tarmac several years ago.

No it hasnt! its still there! part of the road has been tarmaced but the mark remains. I lived in the house opposite the tavern for years, only left recently.

Its worth having a look at before it is covered, it is a line with shorter ones cutting through it, I dont know what it means does anyone else? My mum told me about it as a child that it was made by the prisoners of war but never investigated it further.

Any info! ?

Alex xx

• 7 months later...

Algy and Kristian made comments that ring true with my mother's recollections made to me years ago.

I lived on Parson Cross,and my mother told me that prisoners were billetted in several locations all over northern Sheffield during the war, including Italians at a farm on the opposite corners of the road to The Greyhound pub in Ecclesfield.

They were building the roads at the foot of Wordsworth Avenue, up into what would become 'the Cross'.

A particulary amusing incident i can recall which i hope embarresses no-one any more.

An elderley religous lady once turned up on our doorstep back in the 70's, as they did/do, trying to sell the virtues of her religion, only to be told in no uncertain terms by my mother(totally out of character) where she could go !

When the whole family had closed there wide open mouths , we asked her what had happened.

Apparently the aforesaid lady was once , how shall i put this, 'fond of Italian', and well known for her fondnes of the aforesaid.

Seems like sweet surrender on that occasion........

Archived