Prisoner of war camps sheffield

roger

• 1 year later...

There was indeed a p.o.w. camp at Lodge Moor - now it's a wood surrounded mostly by a high wall. Earlier posts were quite correct about the prisoners being well treated, though there was one escape attempt. One of the prisoners allegedly gave the game away and was beaten up by the others; he later died and two prisoners were tried for murder and hanged. It's also correct that the prisoners remained here for quite a long time after the war ended. So long, in fact, that by the time I was born in April 1948 one of them was still here and became my godfather. This was because he had become such a friend of the family, after my grandfather (an old soldier who remembered kindnesses from Germans after the 1918 armistice) answered an advert. in "The Star" in December 1946 and invited two p.o.w.'s for Christmas. Karl Fauser was a fine man who taught me German during many visits to Ludwigsburg, so that I still speak it fairly fluently (albeit with a Swabian accent) and I still have a liking for Lowenbrau. Karl died in 2002, aged 87; his name can still be found in St Polycarp's baptismal register.

Click Here for POW Camps.

Only Lodge Moor (No.17) and High Green (No.127) are listed for Sheffield.

This is a old thread but walking past lodge moor (about 41) the rd was coverd with Italian P.O's walking along going for a stroll to Wyming Brook Etc I'd be 6-on & they loved to practice their english on us.I can just think what people would say today

You sure? There was a Polish training squadron flying Lysanders from the Airfield that was part of Firbeck Hall Country Club before the war. Are you getting it mixed up or was there a POW camp somewhere too?

There was an Italian POW camp on the upper field behind what was Hunshelf Secondary Modern at Chapeltown / Ecclesfield. I've seen old aerial photos of the layout in the past. Be interesting to see them again.

Here is what it looks like now

It was still there in the mid fifties. I remember it as I used to take a short cut to Burncross (to my Gran's) from the side of the then Ecclesfield Grammar School.

My cousin started going with a German prisoner from Lodge Moor toward the end of the war. Hw could speak little English and Jean couldn't speak German. When he went home I got the job of translating his letters to her, and hers to him, since I was fluent in German, and she paid me for the work and to keep me quiet. There was a small Italian camp near Stony Middleton in Derbyshire. When we'd go by the Italians used to give us money to go get them cigarettes in the village. We were allowed to walk in by the guards and made pals of the prisoners.

If my young memory is correct there was two camp's at lodge moor,the Italian's let loose early(the good one's that is)the Germans didn't wander untill quite late, 41? maybe I remember the school buss when we first heard some German were let out.

apart from redmires area where were the prisoners of war stationed or camped who built parson cross

Hi Roger I am not sure of a pow camp at redmires 1939 war, but I know there was during 1914 war because my father was stationed there during his service in the RASC , He learned a lot of the german language from them, he used to teach me but that all stopped when the 1939 war started, Cheers Arthur.

There was certainly a p.o.w. camp at Lodge Moor during the Second World War, and this must be the camp which is being referred to as Redmires. It was built in the early 1900s as an army camp, and was used to train soldiers during the First World War. Perhaps it was also used to house p.o.w.'s at that time - I was not aware of this, but during the Second World War the Lodge Moor camp became p.o.w. camp No 17 and held both Italian and German prisoners at various times. This site gives a map of WW2 p.o.w. camps: http://www.islandfarm.fsnet.co.uk/LIST%20OF%20UK%20POW%20CAMPS1.htm and this site gives some details of escape attempts, including one from Lodge Moor: http://www.powcamp.fsnet.co.uk/German_And_Italian_Escape_Attempts_From_Other_Camps_In_Great_Britain.htm

• 2 years later...

Archived