Prisoner of war camps sheffield

roger

hi all now trying to find dads war history and looking to get a copy of his medels

any help here?

Sean

it might cost you as my family did the same and got all my grandads info and new medals , which i belive cost £50 i will try to find were yu send off to for you and post back on here ,

i hope the link helps you as it did us good luck ask Helen Curtis

http://www.genealogicalservices.co.uk

Just talking about this today with one of our neighbours. We are positioned near the Acorn at Burncross, and the estate was built on a former POW camp.

He dug out some photo's of pics of the camp before it was demolished to make way for the estate.

Jim:thumbsup:

back in the 70s I used to go out with a girl called Susan knaggs her grandfather had a car spares called "Freds motor spares" at Burngreave (still there different name!) painted direct onto the walls in the upstairs rooms were large murals which Fred claimed were done by the prisoners of war (how the prisoners came to be in Freds shop lord knows!)

Does any one know the whereabouts of Sue knaggs? she was a professional ice skater in the 70s.

i always thought fred knaggs was a photoghrapher

sorry about the spelling

• 1 month later...
i always thought fred knaggs was a photoghrapher

sorry about the spelling

Started my family tree a few months ago, my parents wedding photographer was called Fred Knaggs they married in 1957 at ST Cuthberts Church in Fir Vale

I became interested in POW Camp 17 at Redmires whilst looking for the site of ths Sheffield Pals battalion which was in the next field. I took several photographs last year of what still remains of the POW camp and these have been given to Sheffield Local Studies in the Central Library. I understand these will be included on their Picturesheffield website when they get round to it. In the meantime, they will probably be available for inspection on their terminals on the 1st floor of the building. There is also a sketch plan which shows which bits the photos relate to.

The remains are mostly of the foundations & floor slabs of the Nissen huts measuring about 35 x 5.5 metres, which were used as sleeping accommodation, but it is also possible to locate latrines by the white glazed channel blocks in floor slabs, collapsed boiler house chimneys and what could be emergency water storage tanks.

By coincidence, I have been able to contact Heinz-Georg L. who was a prisoner there from late 1945. He tells that there were around 1000 officers, up to the rank of Colonel. in the camp, they slept 50 to a Nissen hut in two-tiered wooden bunks. H-G L is an amateur artist who completed water colour sketches and woodcuts of interior of the camp. Copies of these,too, are also with Local Studies. He was transferred later to a satellite camp at Ravenfield, nr. Hooton Roberts, where he befriended Uli Steinhilper, a Luftwaffe fighter pilot who is a noted author. Steinhilper was never at Redmires, but spent most of his captivity in Canada where he made several escape attempts.

• 2 weeks later...

There was a prisoner of war camp on Cinderhill Lane Norton. It was a German camp.In 1946 the prisoners were allowed out of the camp and used to walk around Graves Park. I and my friends met some and my Father invited them back to our house. He also took them to the Heeley Palace on Saturday evenings. I can remember how shocked our nieghbours were at the time. My friends and I took them to the Parish Hall dance at the end of Cliffefield Road Meersbrook. We had to borrow civilian clothes for them. The ones I knew were 19 and 20 year old and had been conscripted at 16. I often wonder what happened to them. Many were really afraid to go back because they came from the border of Poland and the Russians were there.

The remains are mostly of the foundations & floor slabs of the Nissen huts measuring about 35 x 5.5 metres, which were used as sleeping accommodation, but it is also possible to locate latrines by the white glazed channel blocks in floor slabs, collapsed boiler house chimneys and what could be emergency water storage tanks.

I mentioned on another thread about this I shot a film on this site about 6 years ago called Last patrol....it features close ups and views of most of the remains of the site, shot during a lovely Summery week in 2003.....very atmospheric......

Archived