Prisoner of war camps sheffield

roger

Not a prisoner of war camp, but some kind of "glasshouse" for Allied airman, was apparently opposite the Norton Hotel, Bochum Parkway. A friend says she used to see Canadians behind the wire there, also some connection with a R.E.M.E. station. Perhaps someone could clarify.

There was an RAF disciplinary camp in Sheffield, I have some info on it somewhere but don't know where it is !

I'm sure I've read somewhere that LMF (Lack of moral fibre) cases were sent there.

The RAF camp at Norton was used for LMF cases during the war.

• 4 months later...

G-Day

How are u all?? Born and bread in Parson Cross now lving in Australia. I am into tracing my family history

My father was in the british army. I think was a warden in the pow camp in Sheffield I have applied to he defence department and got his medels thanks to your help but how do I get his military history? thanks Sean

• 3 months later...

I was brought up in Firbeck (born in 63) and I'm pretty sure it was just used for aircraft and associated personnel. I don't think POWs were held there. I used to play in the remnants of the military buildings - even now military impedimenta can be found around the woodland. It's a lovely peaceful spot.

And I know this doesn't quite answer the question but my nan who died in her nineties in 2005 was born and raised in a farm on City Rd Sheffield (it's a KFC now.) She says as a very small girl in WW1 she used to wander up to manor top and chat to the POWs who would be working on the land on the big junction up there (opposite the chippy.) Whether her recollection is accurate is a moot point. Especially as I don't think her infant German can have been that extensive.

Jonathan

• 1 month later...
Just talking about this today with one of our neighbours. We are positioned near the Acorn at Burncross, and the estate was built on a former POW camp.

He dug out some photo's of pics of the camp before it was demolished to make way for the estate.

Jim:thumbsup:

My parents were living on Sheringham Road, which was just across from the Acorn, when I was born in 1948. At that point it was housingfor young couples I believe. We lived ther for a few years until we moved to Greengate Lane.

• 3 months later...
Interesting photo Tony.

The 'parch marks' in the fields to the right look very clear.

They're Ecclesfield school football pitches.

Ther was an Ack Ack gun emplacement where the car park is now at the rear of Park Avenue. It was still there in 1974, we used to play there on the way home from school.

Quite right. We always called it the army camp. Started up a concrete road at the top of Park Avenue. First hut we called the G Hut on the right going up. Then you came to the Ack Ack gun circles.

Has anyone got a photo, they were still there as you say in 1974 but was cleared to make way for the estate.

These guns cracked ceilings in Ecclesfield with the vibration during the war.

Archived