Prisoner of war camps sheffield

roger

my mum used to tell me there was a pow camp at the top of Wood Lane at Stannington, not sure whether it was technically a pow camp or a refugee camp, but as she was only 12 at the time the war ended I doubt she'd have known the difference

• 1 month later...

If anyone has been to 'Eden Camp' military museum, there is a photo of Italian POW at High Green camp which was at Potter Hill, High Green (taken from military records). My husbands grandmother lived on Wortley Road, High Green and said she could see the camp from their house and the Italian POW on Potter Hill.

• 1 year later...
If anyone has been to 'Eden Camp' military museum, there is a photo of Italian POW at High Green camp which was at Potter Hill, High Green (taken from military records). My husbands grandmother lived on Wortley Road, High Green and said she could see the camp from their house and the Italian POW on Potter Hill.

Very interested to inquire regarding this camp. We have uncovered some handmade wooden photoframes and decorative boxes made by the "German Kath PsOW of Potter Hill camp gifted to the reverend camp priest at Christmas 1946.

Any details abouthe camp would be of great interest.

One name signed to a small photo frame is "Simon Georg - POW 1944-1948"

Very interested to inquire regarding this camp. We have uncovered some handmade wooden photoframes and decorative boxes made by the "German Kath PsOW of Potter Hill camp gifted to the reverend camp priest at Christmas 1946.

Any details abouthe camp would be of great interest.

One name signed to a small photo frame is "Simon Georg - POW 1944-1948"

Try the Local Studies library or Sheffield Archives they should be able to help you.

There was a prisoner of war camp on Cinderhill Lane Norton. It was a German camp.In 1946 the prisoners were allowed out of the camp and used to walk around Graves Park. I and my friends met some and my Father invited them back to our house. He also took them to the Heeley Palace on Saturday evenings. I can remember how shocked our nieghbours were at the time. My friends and I took them to the Parish Hall dance at the end of Cliffefield Road Meersbrook. We had to borrow civilian clothes for them. The ones I knew were 19 and 20 year old and had been conscripted at 16. I often wonder what happened to them. Many were really afraid to go back because they came from the border of Poland and the Russians were there.

I remember seeing the P.O.W'S in Graves park when I was a little girl and in city center too., the ironic thing about the camp at Norton was that one of our neighbours helped build it, he himself had been in a Japanese P O W camphe was a master carpenter and actually got a commendation for the splendid work he did at Norton camp

• 3 months later...
g-day

My father I think was a prison warden in the last war(www2) in sheffield can any one tell me how to find out more info please.

'Lo Sean.

Guess you must be referring to your father being a guard at Redmires POW. camp, and you've told you already have his medals. You will need his Army No. to eliminate any with similar names and this maybe inscribed around the edge of each medal if you are lucky. If it is, his regiment will also be given, though this will be abbreviated into just initials & you may need some help to tell what it is if you aren't familiar with the Brit. regiments. If your medals came with a copy of the medal card, this should also give his regiment, or it may be possible to identify his unit if you have photo of him in uniform with a badge on his cap. That's a starter to be able to get in touch with either the regimental archives, who might make a small charge for advice, or one of the several websites which claim to be able to give info. on ex-squaddies.

The more background you have, the better and you are blessed with a fairly unusual surname which will make identification easier. Other than that, you could contact any living relatives to fill in details or, if he lived in Sheffield for any length of time, a letter to "The Star" newspaper could put you in touch with someone who remembers him.

I've recently done this to find the family of a wartime Aussie pilot. It took three months for my letter to be printed in the Sydney Morning Herald but, when it was, I had eight replies from readers who had information or offered assistance.

g-day

My father I think was a prison warden in the last war(www2) in sheffield can any one tell me how to find out more info please.

Thanks Sean Giblin now Brisbane Australia

Contact Army Historical Records at Glassgow to obtain your fathers service records.

Details are on Google.

Try contacting the local studies library and archives at Sheffield for general information.

Archived