Parkwood springs stories please

Hi

Trying to find out exactly where George Orwell stayed in 1936. he was with the Searles 154 Wallace Rd. Anyone know whereabouts or which side of the rd.

thanks

Right hand side 15 houses from top, or just below the last caravans on Google maps

I've recently been undertaking a little research on a particular aspect of Orwell's visit so if there's anything extra you need to know about it just ask.

On a separate Parkwood Springs theme, there is a 1960's Italian action comedy film 'La Ragazza con la Pistola' which features a section filmed in Sheffield. A few minutes is filmed on the path and footbridge over the railway line at Parkwood Springs. A couple of locals put in an appearance during the clip. The entire film is available on YouTube and the Sheffield section begins about 30 minutes in.

Hi

Person 6

Thanks, I looked at the film a few days aago after seeing your post. How did that film come about.

Re. Orwell, its just a personal interest. The area is fascinating and I am trying to explore before development.

Hi

Person 6

Thanks, I looked at the film a few days aago after seeing your post. How did that film come about.

Re. Orwell, its just a personal interest. The area is fascinating and I am trying to explore before development.

Picture of Wallace Road, the house where Orwell would have stayed, just below the post next to the car.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20267&prevUrl=

There are stories that the film producer had relatives in Sheffield and Edinburgh which had a bearing on locations chosen but I haven't been able to find any way of confirming that. It's certainly a very curious choice of locations.

There was also a children's film made in the early sixties or late fifties which used Parkwood Springs/Neepsend locations. I can't remember the title but the plot involved something being stolen from a steelworks- wages, secret formula maybe.

Edited by Person6

You have some interesting points there.

I remember there being a pit pony from the pit being put out to graze because it was blind . At this time the pits would have been nationalised , or one would assume .

I only remember the Gunpits as that . I remember my cousin playing football on the woods on Rutland road , opposite Woodfold .

None the less , you have some very historical interest points there .

That bit of flat ground opposite Woodfold was a regular football pitch for us 'Woodys.' There was many a 'brick war' back then between the 'Springers' and 'Woodys'. Of course this was before the whole area was landscaped.

Picture of Wallace Road, the house where Orwell would have stayed, just below the post next to the car.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20267&prevUrl=

I am confused now. Someone said it was up the rd on the right. I think the one in the foreground is 193. The even numbers being on the left in the photo. 154 being 15 houses down (on the thread I think).

I am confused now. Someone said it was up the rd on the right. I think the one in the foreground is 193. The even numbers being on the left in the photo. 154 being 15 houses down (on the thread I think).

The houses with the gate hanging open are on the right hand side looking up,even numbers, the photo is looking down Wallace from the top 193 being the last house on the left looking up,

154 is on the gate side, the gate being 182.