Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

The Moon (Office) in Upperthorpe has closed. A bit surprised at that as the current owners haven't had it that long. According to their website its for circumstances beyond their control. Anybody know?

see their web site, and there is another thread on this somewhere, which is why I am trying to get them all merged into one long megathread

the decline in the pub trade ,in my own veiw, is partly due to the insistance of breweries to have all open plan type pubs,

in the hay day of pubs you had a choice of which room to use, i.e on a fri'/sat' night you and the missus would sit in the lounge,sometimes called the best room ( no swearing or such allowed),after work for a few beers with the lads you'd use the tap or smoke room where the rules were a little more relaxed with regard to swearing etc.

very true and I agree. The Dove used to be 2 rooms up until a refurb in the early 80's I think if I not mistaken... a 'best room' and a 'tap room', with a bar in the middle forming the division wall and one bar serving both rooms. A much better arrangement than now I personally feel, as I am also not a fan of open plan bars/pubs. Unfortunately the cost of recreating 2 rooms and moving the bar is just rediculous and beyond consideration.......I wish......

• 2 months later...

Whilst it may be common knowledge that the Marquis Of Granby on the Hathersage Road has been shamefully demolished (or at least the vast majority of it) I noted last Sunday afternoon that the Derwent Hotel in Bamford was also closed and by all accounts looking unlikely to re-open.

Travel along the A57 back to Sheffield and you'll find that the Norfolk Arms at Rivelin is shut, the Bell Hagg has been closed for ages, the King's Head in Crosspool is now an old biddies' home and that the York Hotel is up for lease (although goldenfleece might well be that pub's saving grace).

I can also add that the recently closed Shiny Sheff has attracted nil interest despite Enterprise Inn's silly claim that they can offer 'flexible terms'. (Do you think you can stop phoning up and asking if the karaoke's on this Thursday?)

Expect many more to follow.

Black a Moor open under a new name, charging £3 a pint. How long is that going to carry on for??

3 Quid a pint?! :loopy:

I don't see it lasting long, it's bad enough paying £2,60 a pint at Town prices, £3 a pint in a local Pub is daylight robbery IMO.

I can also add that the recently closed Shiny Sheff has attracted nil interest despite Enterprise Inn's silly claim that they can offer 'flexible terms'.

Enterprise have an interesting definition of the term 'flexible'..basically it means,

and I paraphrase the words of a typical Business Relationship Manager, who actually means exactly this while they smile and shake hands...

"Give us all your cash, absolutely everything and all your savings too, we give you the keys, sell you fantastically overpriced beer for your non existent customers in this rat pit bankrupt pub we have described as an 'exciting opportunity', then screw you for more and more money in 'hidden' costs and rent and other silly fees until you emerge like a completely squeezed lemon, a broken man (or woman) and hand us back the keys, homeless and bankrupt"

This isn't the place to go into personal situations, but your quote is practically what I heard from the mouth of one very unfortunate ex-tenant under the aforementioned 'flexible terms'.

I promise you; word-for-word.