Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Out of interest, did the pub trade as a whole mount any collective opposition to the smoking ban being introduced?

Did they foresee any difference in trade - good or bad, I suppose - in advance of its introduction, or were the breweries/landlords just steamrollered into accepting?

think the make up of the population is changing as well. in areas like darnal, that was mentioned, the population has changed over the last ten years or so with many muslims in the area. they dont drink alcohol so they wont go in the pubs.

it may a factor that young people dont seem to use pubs as they used to.

I don't understand why inexperienced people are allowed to take over the running of pubs. I have seen the pubs in my district go from being well run, well staffed, well cleaned places where the beer was spot on to scruffy, badly run, poorly staffed places where the beer is undrinkable. :mad:

Goldenfleece, who used to be very optimistic about the future of the licenced trade, now admits through inference that it is in terminal decline. I have read many of goldenfleece's posts on this subject and have come to the conclusion that he is one of a vastly declining dying breed of professional publicans. :sad:

Perhaps the pubs that have closed don't deserve to be still open.As I see it, if you get the recipe right (good ale & atmosphere, comfortable seating, competent bar staff & no idiots) then you'll do well.

The pubs I use have the above. eg. Sheaf View, White Lion, Red Deer, Rising Sun (Nethergreen), Bath Hotel, Ranmoor Inn & the Dog & Partridge.

think the make up of the population is changing as well. in areas like darnal, that was mentioned, the population has changed over the last ten years or so with many muslims in the area. they dont drink alcohol so they wont go in the pubs.

it may a factor that young people dont seem to use pubs as they used to.

I used to go down Darnall on a weekend about 25 years ago and we used to go in various pubs and the aquaduct club. The pubs never seemed to be jam packed solid but had a steady turn over of regulars going between them. Oh the good times lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by sierraman

Getting off subject slightly, but where is the Haha bar in Sheffield. Got to pick the wife up from there on Thursday night?

Top of Pinstone Street, near the Peace Gardens.

He'd be a bit late, Rich - that was posted 2 weeks ago!

• 2 weeks later...