Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

The availability/cost of strong drink has nothing to do with that though. That's ill-educated folk over consuming and then causing trouble. And it's hardly a new problem - been around since brewing started. Only recently have government started making noises that clearly the way to completely solve the problem is further increase the tax on the product.

The availability/cost of strong drink has nothing to do with that though. That's ill-educated folk over consuming and then causing trouble. And it's hardly a new problem - been around since brewing started. Only recently have government started making noises that clearly the way to completely solve the problem is further increase the tax on the product.

So happy hours,BOG-OF offers,alco pops & cheap booze in super markets have nothing to do with violent crime have they????

Exactly.

It's the people that get themselves into trouble - nothing to do with the availability of booze. Usually because they don't know when they've had enough or the establishment is irresponsible enough to serve intoxicated customers.

I know my drinking limits. Why should the few people who don't know their limit cause me not to be able to take advantage of a supermarket deal? Why punish everyone because a few people aren't able to act like adults? Do you want bogof deals on chocolate stopped too because some people might get fat (arguably a much greater (and certainly more long-term) health risk)?

I am sure people do fight after drinking alcohol, but I would still say the cost of druggies and their habit costs a lot more than a few people fighting because they cant handle their beer does.

With druggies as well as their habit there is also the stealing from property and cars to fund their habit. The cost to insurance companies to pay for this as well. I am sure anyone could add up the cost to millions of pounds

Pretty soon there'll be no Pubs in Stannington, the Sportsman's dead since the re-opening of the Turnbull (which is possibly a good thing as the Turnbull keeps all the chavs off the estates out of the Sportsman), Hare and Hounds is gone, nobody under 40 (apart from me) goes in the Top House (Crown and Glove) and I don't think Minnie's (Rose and Crown) will last much longer.... So there's only the Royal at Dungworth left, cos even the Deerstalker's shut.

What about the Peacock, is that closed now?

Hotphil. I'm not going to beat someone up if I've over-dosed on chocolate, am I? I'm in agreement with setting yourself limits on the booze intake.

I used to live near to a certain night club in Intake, & it was like Dodge City on a Fri & Sat night...fighting, spewing-up everywhere & lots of noise. I then moved to Ranmoor, near to a wine bar, same thing...fighting , spewing-up etc. The customers of these establishments were from totally different spectres of society, but the result was exactly the same. Education has nothing to do with it.

General education won't make any odds.

Ensuring people are aware of the specific effects of alcohol might make a difference. As would landlords not serving clearly intoxicated people. And a greater sense of self-responsibility, including meaningful punishments for those that decide to commit drink-related crime, would all help. Simply upping the price/restricting availability will only have negative effects on "genuine" consumers and force more pubs under whilst doing nothing whatsoever to ease the drink-related crime situation.