Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

I blame the ban on **** fighting. There was a time when a hard working bloke could relax in a pub of a nighttime with a glass of ale and watch a **** fight. Now this namby pamby nanny state has banned **** fighting and pubs are closing as a result.

The Cherry Tree on Carterknowle Road has not opened today. No one who was in there yesterday was given any indication that it was closing

Went in a few weeks ago with my mate for the tue night quiz, stayed till 9.45, only three people in, think they called off the quiz!

• 2 weeks later...
I should say!!! Tollgate a 'middle eastern/mediteranean restaurant' good heavens!:shakes:

It might not turn out to be a bad thing for the other 2 pubs (Bay Horse & Pitsmoor Hotel) nearby if the restaurant is any good. Tollgate has been dead for years so turning it into a restaurant might attract extra customers for the said 2 pubs with people calling in for a pint before they go for their meal. The East House on Spital Hill operates in a similar way with the Mangla restaurant as you can take your booze across the road from the pub and into the Mangla (they don't serve booze in Mangla).

• 2 weeks later...

Pubs still closing but at slower rate.

Pubs are now closing at a rate of 39 a week, down on the 52 a week closure rate in the first half of 2009, according to the latest survey from the British Beer & Pub Association. A net total of 1,013 pubs shut their doors for the last time between July and December 2009, with the loss of over 10,000 jobs in local communities across Britain. A total of 2,365 pubs closed during the whole of 2009. Although these latest figures are slightly down, closures remain at historically high levels, says the BBPA. There are now 52,500 pubs in Britain – well down on the 58,600 pubs operating when the Licensing Act came into force in 2005. In addition to the loss of these vital community hubs, the Government is set to lose over £250 million in tax revenues this year, if the current closure level continues

The Crown at Totley was, repeat was, a great little pub. Phil, who has run it for the last year turned it round and made it into one of the most welcoming, friendly pubs I have known. Sadly, Punch Inns had other ideas and forced him out by charging over the top rent etc. etc. The old story.

The Crown at Totley was, repeat was, a great little pub. Phil, who has run it for the last year turned it round and made it into one of the most welcoming, friendly pubs I have known. Sadly, Punch Inns had other ideas and forced him out by charging over the top rent etc. etc. The old story.
Punch rears its ugly head again. The same thing has just happened at the Chantry on Woodseats. Was talking to the landlady the other day. It's so bad, people put their hearts and souls into these houses, build them up and then are forced out by the pubcos. :(