Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Once you start descending the slippery slope by selling liquor on the cheap, you end up with the place full of undesirables. Decent people then start avoiding the place and before you know it the place has shutters up at the window as with what has presumably happened at the Bradway.

Once you start descending the slippery slope by selling liquor on the cheap, you end up with the place full of undesirables. Decent people then start avoiding the place and before you know it the place has shutters up at the window as with what has presumably happened at the Bradway.

Well the four domino players in our corner will disagree with you ,Also the bingo lasses in the concert room!

Yes I'm afraid it really did. I think the sign put me off almost as much as the lowlife it was intended to discourage.

Iknow what you mean love i have seen pictures in the paper of these bloody chavs falling out of pubs down London ,Some of them are from real well to do family,s they should lock em in the tower!

I passed the woodroffe at Hope yesterday, it has a sign outside.

Experienced drinkers required

Must have own money

MrX and MrY need not apply

You might jest, but it wasn't that long ago that The Old Hall has a business opportunity banner attached to it. I recall the days of Jack and Connie Jones, with Anton cooking and serving those fantastic beef sandwiches.

There are two complaints here;

- pubs in general are closing, and

- Wetherspoons are opening pubs that are attracting chavs.

Presumably the chavs now going to Wetherspoons used to go to the pubs that have closed. That's why they've closed. And presumably these people mis-behaved as much in the old pubs as they do now in Wetherspoons, in which case people are getting nostalgic for some right dives.

Pubs are a business so Wetherspoons must be doing something right and the closing pubs something wrong. But not all Wetherspoons are full of Neanderthals. The one in Woodseats is alright although a look at the clientele standing outside the Bankers Draft having a cig is enough to make anyone teetotal. I wouldn't go in there even just to use the bogs.

In any case pubs closing is just a sign of the times. In the past cinemas closed and became bingo places. Then the bingo places started to close. Churches have shut down. DIY places will go out of fashion at some point and Tesco's will go the way of blacksmiths and Radio Rentals. And I don't think pubs closing is necessarily a bad thing if it means fewer drunks on the streets or driving about.