Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

You might jest, but it wasn't that long ago that The Old Hall has a business opportunity banner attached to it. I recall the days of Jack and Connie Jones, with Anton cooking and serving those fantastic beef sandwiches.

Jack Jones, a good mate of my dads, and also the golden era of not only the Old Hall, but I think the pub scene in general.

I hear that the landlord at the Milestone at Crystal Peaks as left, hounded out by the high rents! Is this the latest casualty of greedy pub co's. I saw the Bradway Hotel boarded up yesterday, what a shame, good pubs once upon a time.

landlord at milestone gone bust due to not paying vat

landlord at milestone gone bust due to not paying vat

Pretty serious then? Can't you go to prison for tax avoidance? Seemed a nice enough chap but he never did any serving behind the bar, left it to the staff which there always seemed a lot of them working at any one time and hardly any customers.

Pretty serious then? Can't you go to prison for tax avoidance? Seemed a nice enough chap but he never did any serving behind the bar, left it to the staff which there always seemed a lot of them working at any one time and hardly any customers.

yes commonsense really .paying staff to serve 8 to 10 customers while him and wife stood at bar drinking then wonders why he could not make it pay:loopy:

You can, but an inability to pay is not the same as a deliberate falsification of accounts in order to avoid tax.

We did away with debtors prisons some time ago

There are two complaints here;

- pubs in general are closing, and

- Wetherspoons are opening pubs that are attracting chavs.

Presumably the chavs now going to Wetherspoons used to go to the pubs that have closed. That's why they've closed. And presumably these people mis-behaved as much in the old pubs as they do now in Wetherspoons, in which case people are getting nostalgic for some right dives.

Pubs are a business so Wetherspoons must be doing something right and the closing pubs something wrong. But not all Wetherspoons are full of Neanderthals. The one in Woodseats is alright although a look at the clientele standing outside the Bankers Draft having a cig is enough to make anyone teetotal. I wouldn't go in there even just to use the bogs.

In any case pubs closing is just a sign of the times. In the past cinemas closed and became bingo places. Then the bingo places started to close. Churches have shut down. DIY places will go out of fashion at some point and Tesco's will go the way of blacksmiths and Radio Rentals. And I don't think pubs closing is necessarily a bad thing if it means fewer drunks on the streets or driving about.

:hihi: Lol!

There's only about 3 Pubs left in Stannington nowadays, there's Minnie's (Rose and Crown), the Peacock and the Top House (Crown and Glove), cos the Anvil's being refurbished, Robin Hood's hardly ever open, Sportsman's full of Chavs and the Deerstalker's a Gym now.

• 2 years later...

In Bamford the Bamford Community Society is proud to announce that the Anglers Rest in Bamford will be re-opening on Saturday 2nd November.

Its been a long hard slog to get to this point but the good news is that if you fight long and hard enough then you can save a pub and put it where it belongs in the hands of the community that owns it.

pubs are closing because they are not making any money. the only way they can survive is to serve food which many aren't set u for catering. not only that brewery's keep putting up the price of beer and lager. also they have put the rents up. and the council tax rises every year then theres the utility bills, which are crippling. you have to keep the pub warm. no wonder they are bought by people like Tesco's and other supermarkets, or turned into indian resturants x