Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

sorry, I haven't read the thread, just the OP, but I'm going to throw a fly in the ointment...

I'm going to suggest that travel has an impact upon the pub trade

none of us like to take public transport any more, and we're all so used to our cars that we can't possibly walk anywhere! In days gone by I'd have quite happily walked the 3 miles home from Donny town centre after a night out, but those of us who have been brought up in the 'fetch me carry me' culture of being dropped off by mummy at the school gates are probably more reluctant than that

Public transport is also less accessible now than it was 20 years ago, so catching a bus home now is a huge waste of beer money, rather than the change you had left in your pocket

there was a time where the population density was higher - so a pub on every corner was well frequented by the residents of that street, but the houses that once housed four men of drinking age now house only one (that's an example, so don't call me sexist)

We've become more accustomed to choice too. So we travel further to a different 'feel' of pub, but taking the car limits our alcohol consumption, and where that wasn't much of an issue in the seventies, where there was sod all on the roads to crash into on the way home, you're taking your life in your hands drink driving now, and the least you can expect is to be caught, fined and banned (fate worse than death - losing your licence)

• 4 weeks later...
The White Bear in Ecclesfield went about a month ago.

Pubs are generally tightening their belts, trade is dropping more and more, the winter months have seen a very poor turnout of punters.

If anyone has any photos of these closed pubs please let me have them

website at http://www.sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk

photos can be sent to pictures@sheffieldpubs.fsnet.co.uk

Please note this is not meant to be a current pubs website. It is a historical record that will one day have info, pictures and history of all 1600 pubs and 85 breweries that have operated in Sheffield.

enfield gone 3 feathers up for leece cutlers bagshawe and old harrow up for leece the sportsman warminster road cross scythes derbyshire lane and chantry on woodseats all up for leece i have a feeling more than one will shut

A fair number - but most that don't pull in student trade are on their last legs.

Really? nothing to do with the proven collapse in trade since the enforced smoking ban by a government that were elected on promises there'd be no ban.

• 5 weeks later...