Advice about living on a canal boat

As I said I have tried the sailing bit . And the power giving way to sail thing is all well and good , but you get some complete arseholes that go out of there way to test the rule.

Let's just get this right - For one thing 'arseholes' can be found in much greater numbers amongst the dicks that ponce about in motor boats trying to get noticed -

I have NEVER heard of sailors deliberately causing a situation where a motor boat was forced to give way to his sail.

Where pray, would this happen? inshore perhaps, where the MAJORITY OF MOTOR BOATS HANG OUT TRYING TO IMPRESS THE TOTTY? Doubt it, as MOST sailing vessels are out finding sea room and at the same time avoiding your type who THINK that they know what they're doing.

No sailor in their right mind would start disputing outdated maritime law with your kind, we don't waste our time.

Where did you do your sailing - Rother Valley Country Park don't count. And in what did you sail - Toppers don't count.

If you ever did try sailing - you'd know that the skills required to handle a yacht are far more complex than pushing forward on dual controls as in motor boats.

And incidentally - the women WE pull on REAL boats would make your little peepers pop.

We had a Westerly GK 29 moored at Hull , me and my father used to go out on the Humber quite a lot for about 4 years before moving to Ipswich . At this time my father bought a little (36foot) cruiser at Lincoln , I found myself enjoying cruising a lot more than sailing . So having experienced both aspects I really can't understand where the (at times) hatred comes from re the cruisers .People used to look at us like aliens in the clubhouse because we had a sailing boat and aa cruiser , infact one of the "rag and stick" brigade even stopped talking to us because we had a cruiser , PATHETIC. We've now got a Neptunus 162 and don't see it as a status symbol as you seem to be implying . It's just a very nice boat (which is for sale at the moment ) . We see it more of a holiday home that can be used to visit other destinations . Last year we set of from La Manga , went up the coast then across to Ibiza then on to Majorca. It was fantastic .

Where did you buy your boat? I am hoping to buy one to live on, preferably at Victoria Quays. Dosn't seem to be anywhere in Sheffield that sells them.

Keith

About 4 weeks ago, one of the boats at Victoria Quays had a for sale sign on it. I noticed it when we were photographing the boats after having a stroll along the canal.

Not knowing much about boats other than they go on water and I enjoy being on them I couldn't tell you any more than that:)

Me and my friend did have an urge to take up the life of pirates for just a second though, then we realised just how little pillaging there was to be done between Sheffield and Rotherham:hihi:

Hi

No, I haven't bought one yet.

I'm just thinking about it.

Apparently a friend of a friend is selling one in Rotherham for £10,000 which is out of the water at the mo, and needs some work doing on it. Perhaps if I decide against the idea, I can let you know about it.

Where did you buy your boat? I am hoping to buy one to live on, preferably at Victoria Quays. Dosn't seem to be anywhere in Sheffield that sells them.

Keith

• 3 years later...

You can can get some good deals on boats of any kind, if your going for the lower end of the maket just take someone that has been around boats a while to help you out and give you some advice.

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/property/houseboats__canal_boats/11407653/narrowboat-home-needs-plumbing/view#.Tk6hJGHgnlV

This one is a good starter, but I think if someone keeps searching they will fine some cheaper.

ALAN

there are quite a few famous people who live on narrow boats, one advantage you can move around different scenary every day, but to moor a boat can be expensive, to stay in sheffield all the time woud be boring best to move up and down sheff canal,link up with the leeds liverpool canal. some of the own sides are waterand electric suppies unless you have your own gen. i think you would still have to pay council tax in some form or other depends if your going to live in one place. the boat would also a water worthy certificate and many more please think twice about living on one, if you needed a mortgage i dont think you would get one, and a boat takes loads of maintainance, but good luck i wish i had the nerve to branch out and go ,, but i dont have the 40 to60 thousand to buy one with

There are also some people on this forum who resurrect ancient threads and use them as a feeble excuse to help them to advertise a business venture.

Now that the ancient mariner (I hesitate to call him 'a guy who is trying to flog you a narrowboat') has resurrected this thread, perhaps we should use it to refresh ourselves on nautical terminology?

Let's take turns on reminding each other about vital phrases and sayings.

Your phrase for today:

"Avast behind!"

Enunciated loudly, to warn the crew of a surreptitious approach from the rear. Don't use it when your wife is within earshot - it may possibly be misinterpreted.

You could, however, use it when somebody is trying to sneak up on you and flog you something you don't really want.

• 3 years later...