Driving age to go up to 18

Do we ban cars where the drivers always have their window open no matter how cold it is? And ban those with blacked out windows? And those with loud music? And those who drive in that stupid leaning manner where they lean sideways over the gear stick as they drive?

We can't do that. It's discrimination! All we can do is have some police look out and when they see stupid kids driving fast or dangerously then pull them up and warn them or even fine and ban if they are that bad. And the same goes for any other driver, be them old, young, in a car or van.

Lets see em then, I'm intrigued!

Have a look on Google at how many ASBOs have been issued against how many kids there are might be a good start. I can't be a**** looking up things that are obvious but if you think most youngsters have or aspire to having ASBOs you are mixing in the wrong circles.

Another issue with all of this is that the penalty of being banned from driving is, in itself, a bit of a nonsense. If you are the type that ignores the laws to a sufficient degree that you end up getting banned from driving, I don't see why that would stop said person from driving. It just means that they are unlicensed and uninsured the next time they hit someone. The punishments should be different. Massive fines probably, confiscate cars, etc.. Same with driving without insurance. Paltry penalties are useless.

Another issue with all of this is that the penalty of being banned from driving is, in itself, a bit of a nonsense. If you are the type that ignores the laws to a sufficient degree that you end up getting banned from driving, I don't see why that would stop said person from driving. It just means that they are unlicensed and uninsured the next time they hit someone. The punishments should be different. Massive fines probably, confiscate cars, etc.. Same with driving without insurance. Paltry penalties are useless.

I agree. I keep reading in papers and on the news about teens who got banned and were caught again driving or causing an accident and they get a fine and even longer been banned. So they'll just do it again.

No incentive not to break the law!

I agree. I keep reading in papers and on the news about teens who got banned and were caught again driving or causing an accident and they get a fine and even longer been banned. So they'll just do it again.

No incentive not to break the law!

You only read about those who do drive when disqualified if something happens. I suspect that most people don't drive when disqualified but those who do don't usually have an accident because they are in much bigger and disproportionate trouble then and only the real idiots risk that.

What an excellent idea! In most American states (especially the Southern ones) they have tighter rules such as this, as well a having a US-wide 55MPH speed limit....Only I would be tempted to raise it still further to 21 (I believe this is the case in Tennesee)

That's no longer true.

Individual states set their own speed limits.

Not too sure about the driving age in Tennesee either, driving age tends to be lower in some of the southern states.

Guest Mod_Man
So you base your beliefs that the majority of kids in this country aren't bad ones because the kids you know aren't?

Wouldn't stand up in court really would it? :loopy:

So on what do you base your beliefs that the majority of kids are bad?

That's no longer true.

Individual states set their own speed limits.

Not too sure about the driving age in Tennesee either, driving age tends to be lower in some of the southern states.

I know the speed limit in Nevada isn't 84mph cos I've got a ticket prove it, it is in fact 75mph, more than in UK.

What an excellent idea! In most American states (especially the Southern ones) they have tighter rules such as this, as well a having a US-wide 55MPH speed limit.

No US states have that limit as this chart shows