Old £10 going out of circulation on 31st July

Saw a notice in the corner shop stuck on a till saying the old £10 is no longer legal tender from 31st July.

First I've seen and heard today, has anyone else come across this?

I'm thinking what is this old £10?

Glad you told me. When the old £20 went out of circulation I had no idea - Don't stay in touch with what goes on in the world you know1 Anyway I paid my childminder with lots of out of date £20's I'd been keeping stashed under the floorboards for a rainy day (joke). She wasn't best pleased since no shops would take them. Might be worth mentioning that banks will exchange them though.

There's no need to panic. Yes, old £10 notes (with Charles Dickins on) will cease being legal tender tomorrow, but banks and post offices will continue to change them for a long time. There's no real reason for shops to refuse them either, since their takings end up being paid into a bank.

Remember that Bank of England notes are good for all time (they say "I promise to pay the bearer on demand..."). Also remember that "Legal Tender" is only relevent if you're a bank or a court.

Archived