Defining Classes.

Buying designer clothes because they are designer doesn't mean you have class or taste, but buying clothes that you like that happen to be "designer" is a different thing.

ie. Someone buying a Dolce & Gabana shirt (with huge logos) to "impress the birds" or a Stone Island jacket to impress fellow football fans is not the same as someone buying a pair of Vivienne Westwood bondage trousers to complete their "going to ASDA" outfit.

IMO

Aside from the fact that I'm never going in ASDA again, I'd just love to see someone wearing some of the more outre Vivienne Westwood styles when shopping for their onions and a bottle of HP sauce ;)

Hardly - just willing to say it like it is, that's all.

That's fine, no problem with that. It's your take on things. It was very entertaining and enlightening. Can i join you and your chums for a drink sometime?

That's fine, no problem with that. It's your take on things. It was very entertaining and enlightening. Can i join you and your chums for a drink sometime?
Of course, on the proviso that you pronounce your 'h's, don’t have any silly left-wing or liberal do-gooder ideas, benefit from a reasonable level of education and reading, dress in a suitably conservative and refined fashion and believe that the working classes are overpaid.

Tick those boxes, and I’m sure we’d get on fine.

What you raise is extremely relevant – people ‘hang out’ with peers of like mind.

I find it very difficult to hold a conversation with uneducated people – they talk drivel, have limited understanding of the world around them, and tend to be interested in crass subjects like football, gutter TV and tabloid headlines. The motivational value systems are somewhat crude compared to their middle class equivalents, and their thought processes quite unrefined.

Similarly, if such a person joins my circle of friends for a Friday night pint in our local, they would find it difficult to contribute to our conversations because they have no knowledge or understanding of the topics we discuss, and in many cases are confused by our vocabulary. Even the brighter ones – some do have clear intelligence – are limited badly by their narrow breadth of life experience and education, leaving them unable to raise their game in more educated or eloquent company.

It comes down to them living in different worlds – and the blunt truth is that the working class world is very different to that of the middle classes.

Oh come on. If you want to discuss Uganda there's no-one better than a council bird!

Oh come on. If you want to discuss Uganda there's no-one better than a council bird!
True, they can be great fun but that sort of sport has limited attraction - the do-gooder lefty activist types put up a bit of a scrap over a keyboard but they end up rapidly out of their depth face-to-face, and usually end up either stomping off in frustration because they get badly mauled in debate, or in tears. I can usually predict which it will be.

I read somewhere the other day that there was only two classes of people in the UK now. Those with class and those without. These were ignorant of financial or community status and you were in one or the other merely by your conduct and your attitude.

Archived