Defining Classes.

True, they can be great fun but that sort of sport has limited attraction - the do-gooder lefty activist types put up a bit of a scrap over a keyboard but they end up rapidly out of their depth face-to-face, and usually end up either stomping off in frustration because they get badly mauled in debate, or in tears. I can usually predict which it will be.

I'm sure that's from experience. Not.

Of course, on the proviso that you pronounce your 'h's, don’t have any silly left-wing or liberal do-gooder ideas,

Is this an example of your famous open mindedness, the ability to consider ideas that differ from your own and enjoyment of having your preconceptions and opinions intelligently challenged.

Because it sounds more like you're only comfortable if in a group of like minded people who will all agree with each other.

benefit from a reasonable level of education and reading, dress in a suitably conservative and refined fashion and believe that the working classes are overpaid.

Tick those boxes, and I’m sure we’d get on fine.

I'm not entirely sure of what to make about the overpaid comment, was it meant to be funny or are you just ignorant of economic theory?

Aside from the fact that I'm never going in ASDA again, I'd just love to see someone wearing some of the more outre Vivienne Westwood styles when shopping for their onions and a bottle of HP sauce ;)

I had some bondage trousers :)

The world would be a better place if more people wore Ms Westwoods designs, people need to express themselves more, I wish her clothes were cheaper though, she does some fantastic suits that I can't afford.

Is this an example of your famous open mindedness, the ability to consider ideas that differ from your own and enjoyment of having your preconceptions and opinions intelligently challenged.

Because it sounds more like you're only comfortable if in a group of like minded people who will all agree with each other.

Actually no, it's more that I find lefties and liberals to be poor excuses for humanity, and dull company as a result. Yes, I do enjoy discussion with like-minded types, because sharing conversation on common interests is usually enjoyable – one of the enjoyable aspects of friendships (a strange concept for many sad lonely SF subscribers, I suspect).

And, if I'm honest about it, I prefer to associate with people I do not consider to be beneath me.

I'm not entirely sure of what to make about the overpaid comment, was it meant to be funny or are you just ignorant of economic theory?
I'm content with the theory that the unskilled should not be able to afford luxuries - reward should come from achievement.

Lol.

Yes I'm sure you find conversation much more fun when no one wants to challenge your cosy (if misguided) world view.

Nice dig there at every, including yourself, well done.

Beneath you, right, that would include anyone who doesn't agree with you then, a very simple categorisation, almost genius in it's simplicity... Or simple in it's geniosity.

The unskilled... I guess that's your first mistake, you said working class, not unskilled.

Whilst I'm sure the sets do intersect, they certainly aren't the same.

Afford luxuries. Well, first we'd have to define luxury I suppose, but lets not.

Clearly the labour of the working class person has some value. Hence they get paid an economic amount for what they do.

Why should it concern you how and what they spend that on? Unless you secretly fear that really you aren't that different and the only means you have to assert your superiority is to purchase luxury items and fervently hope that they don't do the same (or worse have done so first).

I'd be happy if the most poorly paid worker could afford 6 holidays a year and a ferrari, of course the better paid would probably spend half the year on holiday and have a flying car with autopilot, but it harms no one (and benefits everyone) if the more lowly paid are actually well paid.

I had some bondage trousers :)

The world would be a better place if more people wore Ms Westwoods designs, people need to express themselves more, I wish her clothes were cheaper though, she does some fantastic suits that I can't afford.

Did you wear them in ASDA though? ;) I used to like wearing strange things just to upset people - it's funny how much it does. I think when you see someone in mad, eccentric designs then it just floors people and they don't know what to think.

Oooh, and I remembered - I think there's going to be a Vivienne Westwood exhibition at Millennium Galleries this spring.

Archived