Anyone want buy a pub?

Cavellsuk

You never know what may happen....I am constantly amazed in this business about what kind of projects people take on often blindly, wrapped up in some crazy dream about a 'dream bar business' making them millions......you regularly find examples of people investing loads of cash and I do mean HUGE amounts into projects that don't stand a cat in hells chance of ever working........and 6 months later, they crawl away with tails firmly between their legs and imploded bank accounts......does no one do 'market research' anymore????

Even in this economic climate of pubs closing all over the place, there are still many people out there who have never pulled a pint in their life and who have no idea about the reality of running a bar, who are busily dreaming about their 'ideal pub' and making millions out of it and having yachts in Cannes and the Greek Islands, etc.......I spoke to someone the other night and as soon as she found I out I own a pub she came out with some outrageous cliches such as, "can you lend me a million", and "do you have a 12 bedroomed mansion with electric gates and 5 Italian sports cars?" I can't believe it......why do people think pub owners are in the same league as Peter Stringfellow......

I may may not be short of a 'bob or two' but the 12 bedroomed mansion and yacht in Cannes is some way off yet:hihi:

What always surprises me is the endless number of people who see it as a dream job, like having a restaurant, which used to be my dream job! It's long hours, endless hard graft and often for far less reward then you would like, not to mention the risk involved and can be quite boring at times.

Totally agree Goldenfleece, looking round town I feel I'm seeing a lot of people's pretty poorly thought out dream bars (emphasis on bars and not the excellent pubs), which have almost always had to 'sell out' either in terms of music, drinks or clientelle or whatever and just compete against each other to get as many adequately wasted punters in as possible - with the odd exception.

Archived