Anyone any information on Sowash Hall

Has anyone out there heard of a Sowash Hall in or around Wortley / Bradfield? According to the census in the 1870's it had a lot of different surnamed youngsters living there. Made me think it could have been a boarding school, orphanage or even a dreaded workhouse? Would love to hear from anyone who's any information on the place. :help:

Has anyone out there heard of a Sowash Hall in or around Wortley / Bradfield? According to the census in the 1870's it had a lot of different surnamed youngsters living there. Made me think it could have been a boarding school, orphanage or even a dreaded workhouse? Would love to hear from anyone who's any information on the place. :help:

Well it defeats Google and Ask.com - congratulations !

Are you sure of the spelling ?

Well it defeats Google and Ask.com - congratulations !

Are you sure of the spelling ?

I've checked the 'olde worlde' handwriting on a 1871 census form which my mate has managed to obtain. I didn't have this when I first posted. It could be (sorry for this) Low Ash Hall and it could be Worrall. It shows 13 boys of school age - oldest 14 - youngest is 9 years with the head of the household being Schoolmaster and farmer of 25 acres. He apparently lived there with his wife, 4 daughters a female assistant and 1 servant called Thomas Harrison. I reckon it might have been a boarding school or orphanage at one time? I've found Low Ash Farm at Worrall - wonder if the hall and farm are one of the same? Any info on the hall cum farm would be appreciated. Sorry for the original 'Sowash' - reminds me of the Vicar of Dibley episode where Alice got her 'f's and 's's mixed up when she read in the Songs of Praise episode:roll:

I know Low Ash, - it's a riding school these days. And you could say it was in Worrall, in the parish of Bradfield.

The house is certainly big enough to have been a small residential school - the designation of 'Hall' is a little fanciful but may just a have been the owner's way of attracting custom.

On the 1850s OS map it is just shown as 'Low Ash' at the junction of Darwent lane and Stubbing lane. Nearest main roads are Kirk Edge road to the north and Long lane to the east.

If you would like a copy of the map PM me your email address.

I know Low Ash, - it's a riding school these days. And you could say it was in Worrall, in the parish of Bradfield.

The house is certainly big enough to have been a small residential school - the designation of 'Hall' is a little fanciful but may just a have been the owner's way of attracting custom.

On the 1850s OS map it is just shown as 'Low Ash' at the junction of Darwent lane and Stubbing lane. Nearest main roads are Kirk Edge road to the north and Long lane to the east.

If you would like a copy of the map PM me your email address.

Thanks Greybeard - you're certainly on the ball and thanks for the offer of the map. I've checked a couple of maps I have and got a location of the building. Next time I'm passing I'll stop and have a closer look. If I can get a definitive answer to what it was used for in the 1870's (my guess as I said is a boarding school for boys) - I'll post some more details. Thanks again

I don't know whether this helps, beady.

Taken from " A Laymans Look at the History, Industry, People and Places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side" ..... by Doug Sanderson, published 1999.

[Low Ash Farm.

"High up on the hilltop overlooking the Loxley Valley, this farm was once a boarding school for young gentlemen.The school was established by a Mr. Linley in 1850 and continued for 30 years until his death in 1879. The 1861 census, records that John and Betsy Lindley, both 51 years of age, lived there with 4 daughters and 46 young gentleman boarders. Originally, there were two seperate buildings but, in this century a cottage was built joining the two buildings together. A feature inside the house is an old winding staircase leading to where the young gentlemen slept."

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that pietro - sorry for not posting to thank you sooner. We've now got the location and what the place was used for. You and Greybeard have been more than helpful -hope to have a closer look when in the area next.

• 8 years later...

previously someone was looking for this "Sowash Hall, Bradfield" [Low Ash Hall]

Low Ash Hall Boarding School near Sheffield

conducted by Mr Linley

The duties of this establishment will recommence (D.V) on Wednesday January 21st 1867.

Terms per annum for Board and English Education: -

Pupils under nine years of age......... 17 guineas

Ditto from nine and under twelve ...........19 guineas

Ditto from twelve and under fourteen ........ 20 guineas

No day pupils received.

A prospectus forwarded on application.

Referee - G.M. Heathcote, Esq., Newbold, Chesterfield

---------------

Taken from " A Laymans Look at the History, Industry, People and Places of Oughtibridge, Worrall and Wharncliffe Side" ..... by Doug Sanderson, published 1999.

[Low Ash Farm.

"High up on the hilltop overlooking the Loxley Valley, this farm was once a boarding school for young gentlemen.The school was established by a Mr. Linley in 1850 and continued for 30 years until his death in 1879. The 1861 census, records that John and Betsy Lindley, both 51 years of age, lived there with 4 daughters and 46 young gentleman boarders. Originally, there were two separate buildings but, in this century a cottage was built joining the two buildings together. A feature inside the house is an old winding staircase leading to where the young gentlemen slept."