Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Wednesday held Swan & Laynes registration,they came back supposedly to train,but swan got a short contract after proving his fitness and playing very well in a pre season tour in scotland.Layne had always been a bit chunky,but Swanny looked very fit and slim.

Alas,the head was there,the legs just werent,and after a few months,lost his place and was released,he then turned out for Bury,and had a very sucsessfull season,scoring his 1st league goals,and leading them to promotion from the old 4th div.But....once again was released,he went into non league as a manager,once again found sucsess,even brought back Bronco for a few games,it was at matlock town i think,and they won the fa trophy,im pretty sure they beat scarboro at wembley 4-1,and his lad played for him as well if im right,young Carl who also played at Leeds and Donny rovers.

I never heard what happened to Kay.

They both ran pubs,in chesterfield,like a lot of ex pros used to,to my knowledge still do.

Here's what happened to the best Wednesday player of that era.

Yes, it was a home game, and yes, big clumsy sod perfectly describes Alan Warboys.

Of course we didnt really need Alan Warboys,we should have followed reserve team coach,Derek Dooleys advice and hung onto John Hickton.

Dooley told Alan Brown to sell Hickton,would be a big mistake.But Brown in defence,claimed Hickton wasnt a proper centre foreward,as Dooley had switched him from centre half,very much like Paul Warhurst in the 90s,only Hickton would go onto cement his career as a regular goalscorer.

Hickton did get a run in the 1st team,and scored a hatrick against arsenal at hillsbro,in 2 seperate spells he got 11 in 24 games,then 10 in 26,but Brown considered him inconsistent,so they paid stoke the 70k for Ritchie,and offset it with 20k from middlesboro,who in all honesty bought Hickton as a centre half,but eventually switched him up front,and he went onto to play for 12 years scoring 159 goals!

Dooley offered 80k for him,but boro turned it down,saying the offer was way below his value.

Here's what happened to the best Wednesday player of that era.

Yeah id heard hed moved to spain,and the trouble with a fake diamond,I hear Swanny wont speak to him,and Bronco was the same,it was something to do with that film with steve coogan,the fix,Swan and bronco felt kay should have consulted them and that it portrayed them in a different light to him,kay acted as a consultant to the makers and pocketed a fair few quid.

Il always believe they were dealt with FAR too harshly,some of the others accepted money to throw games,those 3 didnt,and looking at wednesdays results upto and after that game,they were shocking,on a bad run,went from september to around end of dec or even january untill they won another match after beating manu 1-0,it ended when they beat westbrom 3-0,that was 3 games after the ipswich game,infact they lost 0-4 at burnley 2 weeks later.

Of course we didnt really need Alan Warboys,we should have followed reserve team coach,Derek Dooleys advice and hung onto John Hickton.

Dooley told Alan Brown to sell Hickton,would be a big mistake.But Brown in defence,claimed Hickton wasnt a proper centre foreward,as Dooley had switched him from centre half,very much like Paul Warhurst in the 90s,only Hickton would go onto cement his career as a regular goalscorer.

Hickton did get a run in the 1st team,and scored a hatrick against arsenal at hillsbro,in 2 seperate spells he got 11 in 24 games,then 10 in 26,but Brown considered him inconsistent,so they paid stoke the 70k for Ritchie,and offset it with 20k from middlesboro,who in all honesty bought Hickton as a centre half,but eventually switched him up front,and he went onto to play for 12 years scoring 159 goals!

Dooley offered 80k for him,but boro turned it down,saying the offer was way below his value.

And it was. A pity, because he would have jumped at a chance to come back to Hillsborough according to an article in, I think, Charles Buchan's football monthly.

And it was. A pity, because he would have jumped at a chance to come back to Hillsborough according to an article in, I think, Charles Buchan's football monthly.

Hed have crawled over hot coals to play for Dooley again,he held Derek in VERY high esteem,as hed worked very hard to improve his game with him,and of course spotted his gift for goals,good as anybody in the air and quick feet.

Many owls argued hed have scored as many if not more than Ritchie.

Swan and Kay were decorators for a while,then kay moved away,and Swanny worked in a fletchers bread van up stannington.

Back in the early 60's I used to work for Gee Decorators Merchants.

I'm sure I remember Peter Swan & Tony Kay used to do a bit of part time painting & decorating.

They used to come into the trade counter.

Those were the days, when footballers used to have part time jobs.

I used to take the payment for the paint & wallpaper etc they bought.

This must have been before the 'fraud' as I left Gee's in 1964.

I used to take the payment for the paint & wallpaper etc they bought.

This must have been before the 'fraud' as I left Gee's in 1964.

Lots of footballers in the 60s,early 60s especially,had other jobs,Ray wilson worked for a huddersfield undertakers,before his transfer to everton,george eastham and jimmy greaves were car salesmen,in fact a lot of footballers were also car salesmen back then,i think swan worked for a local car dealer as well as playing.

The best Wednesday manger in my humble opinion was Jack Charlton, did what he said he would do got wednesday out the **** ,sorted them out from the bottom up left at the right time leaving it in the hands of Howard wilkinson to take the club forwards .never keen on his style of play but he did what he had to do to get out of the lower leagues, as much as I loved the team of the 1960s , I don't judge him on what he won but for his work in sorting the club out and putting them on the road to recovery, he,s the kind of man we could do with now.

Edited by Shogun

The best Wednesday manger in my humble opinion was Jack Charlton, did what he said he would do got wednesday out the **** ,sorted them out from the bottom up left at the right time leaving it in the hands of Howard wilkinson to take the club forwards .never keen on his style of play but he did what he had to do to get out of the lower leagues, as much as I loved the team of the 1960s , I don't judge him on what he won but for his work in sorting the club out and putting them on the road to recovery, he,s the kind of man we could do with now.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: