Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

A significant omission from those names is Alan Finney, who in season 60-61, played in all 42 games. Imagine that today?

As rogG mentions, that was an exceptional season under Catterick and only an outstanding Spurs 'double' side prevented Wednesday from winning the championship; the Owls beating Spurs 2-1 at Hillsborough - Billy Griffin netting the Owls first. Roy McLaren had a brilliant day in goal.

In the FA Cup, Wednesday won 7-2 at Old Trafford in a replay and Keith Ellis scored a hat-trick.

The previous season, I saw Wednesday lose the semi-final 2-1 against Blackburn at Maine Road when Blackburn and Derek Dougan seemed to have the referee on their side. Wednesday had a 'goal' disallowed and Dougan looked offside for both Blackburn's.

In September 1962 I saw Wednesday win 2-1 at Arsenal, the last time they won at Highbury - David Layne scored both goals. Sadly, he was to figure in the 2-0 defeat at Ipswich - a game I attended -in December which led to imprisonment but not before the following season when he scored at hat-trick at Portman Road in a 4-1 win - a memorable day for the right reasons.

1964 involved a very bad start. Another long journey to Newport to see the Owls losing 3-2 in the Cup after leading 2-0. McLaren had a nightmare. A couple of Wednesday players stood in the buffet bar and drank all the way back to Sheffield. This was the easy-going style of Vic Buckingham and it was soon to change to a stricter regime under Alan Brown who led them to Wembley in 1966 and another match, snatched from Wednesday's grasp!

He did mention Finney, you should have gone to Specsavers. :hihi:

I remeber the sad day Harry Catterick left to manage Everton and shortly afterwards signed Tony Kay for the Toffees.

The team I remember was.

Ron Springett

Peter Johnson

Don Megson

Tony Kay

Peter Swan

Gerry young

Derick Wilkinson

Keith Elliss

Johnny Fantham

Johnny Quin

I see no Finney? Strangely, I was at HS Eyecare at 11am!

Finney used to cross balls and we are at cross-purposes! I am addressing the original poster Clifflad in his team managed by Catterick. There is no Finney - he played every game so I think needs to be there. Alan Finney, from Langwith, played on either wing and would often switch wings if things weren't working out.

The poster including Finney offers a list of names from the 60's, rather than a team, the likes of which we no longer see at S6!

Finney used to cross balls and we are at cross-purposes! I am addressing the original poster Clifflad in his team managed by Catterick. There is no Finney - he played every game so I think needs to be there. Alan Finney, from Langwith, played on either wing and would often switch wings if things weren't working out.

The poster including Finney offers a list of names from the 60's, rather than a team, the likes of which we no longer see at S6!

How do you mean? Kenny Lunt, Deon Burton, Leon Clarke OK you win. :hihi:

How do you mean? Kenny Lunt, Deon Burton, Leon Clarke OK you win. :hihi:

I think this list could very well be extended to three-figures?

Many people recall the 'Waddell' game against WHU, much later, but in the 60's, remember the Colin Dobson performance against Wolves 5-0 (23/11/63) ?

Latterly, season 1969-1970 and the Owls were finally relegated after Manchester City did their absolute utmost to keep Wednesday in the top-flight. Non-triers if ever I saw one but nobody had told substitute, Ian Bowyer, the script - hence a 2-1 defeat and down!

If you were a rep from Crystal Palace you would have been disgusted with City's showing. Reason - Hillsborough easy trip, 40,000 home and away, vis-a-vis next to nobody at Palace.

So, what started as a brilliant decade - the best period I've seen at S6 - degenerated into relegation and the dark days before Big Jack righted the ship.

Your mixing up the early 60's side with the mid 60's side mate, no Craig, McCalliog, Ford or Mobley in the early 60's.

OK. but i wasn't suggesting they all played at the same time on the team. they're just some of the greats I remember. Plus of course the great Ron Springett. I do remember going to Old Trafford to see Wednesday play Man U in an FA Cup replay. Wednesday won 7-2 and in that match Bobby Craig was an absolute wizard. Aren't these great memories? Wonder what kind of memories the present team will leave behind.

Watched Wed from 63/64,been on kop with 65k(I think thats how many)Bronco Laynes goal record for Wednesday was something else though I just caught his latter games.

Remember beating Burnley 7-0 and Mcalliog missing a penalty,after that it was downhill for many a year,good times off the pitch but bad on it.