Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Have you got any pictures of them programmes you could send

Sadly no i lost my 60s programes moving house from highgreen some years back,im currently replenishing the missing ones from ebay,there a quid each mostly,occasionally you pick up a season for around 5-8 quid.worth every penny,sadly i cant pick up the newspaper cutting i used to save of all the games as a kid,although iv a book,thats from the daily mirror with some reports of matches past in it and pictures......keep saying il check out the star archive in the main library,but its finding time.

Your true about fans mixing always been a wednesdayite but lived at abbeydale so sometimes I would go to Bramall lane if they were playing a decent team ,I can remember seeing Chelsea fans walking around past the cricket pavilion smashing the windows , united fans chasing them back round ,when they had that big cricket field in front of it.

Ah.....i was NEVER allowed to the lane,my dads whole family supported united,he was the sole owl in a large family,his dad,my grandad was originally from nottingham,but went to owls games.

In 1970,my dad had 2 weeks in hospital,and hired a sitter for my home games,wednesday had been relegated the previous season.My godfather was a blade season ticket holder,and offered to take me to the upcomming derby at the lane,i was so excited,as previously i was never allowed to derby games because of the trouble.....anyhow my dad got wind of it,and said hed"knock his block off if he took me":hihi:but i saw the easter derby at hillsbro that ended goaless

What did you think of John Ritchie as player signed him from stoke I think ,big gangly guy , or was Alan Warboys better. 1970 I whent to that match when Wednesday lost to Man City last game of the season , remember waking down penistone road with the crowd not one person said a thing heads down,.all that Wednesday had to do was score one goal from what I can remember , people said Man city were playing for Wednesday. dint they win the first division that year, my Dad always said Wednesday have 10 good years and then 10 crap years if you look at it in history its not far wrong .

Edited by Shogun

I remember suffering watching the 1966 Cup Final. I worked in Barclays Bank, Hillsborough 1960-62. In the lunch hour I'd often walk up Langsett Rd to a park opposite which was a cafe run by Bronco Lane. We'd sometimes call in for a coffee and there, hunched over the juke box would be Bronco, Peter Swan and Tony Kaye no doubt discussing tactics for the coming Saturday match.

I remember seeing Derek Dooley play at Hillsborough around 1952. R.I.P.

Did you mean that you saw Peter Swan,Tony Kay and Bronco Lane takeing bets on the next fixture more like the club are a disgrace to Sheffield and Football.

What did you think of John Ritchie as player signed him from stoke I think ,big gangly guy , or was Alan Warboys better. 1970 I when to that match when Wednesday lost to Man City last game of the season , remember waking down penistone road with the crowd not one person said a thing heads down,.all that Wednesday had to do was score one goal from what I can remember , people said Man city were playing for Wednesday. dint they win the first division that year, my Dad always said Wednesday have 10 good years and then 10 crap years if you look at it in history its not far wrong .

The Man city match is part of folklore at s6.

Wednesday had to win,and palace would be relegated.City were in the cup winners cup against gornick,a polish side a week later,palace had finished thier fixtures 2 points above us,but with inferior goal difference,it was a cold wet and windy night,but the seasons biggest crowd,over 45k turned out.

Pre match,Wilf Smith and Prophett faced fitness tests,both passed.But Smith went off after 20 odd mins and Steve downes came on,switching Gerry Young to midfield,where Smith was now playing.

The game turned on an incidnet shortly after,Prophet made a clumsy,ill advised lunge on mike sumerbee,which would keep him out of the final,city played with thier hands in thier pockets,and the game was looking like a bit of a sham,they got a pen,and mike doyle tapped it straight to Grummitt.

But when sumerbee went off,it seemed to stir city with anger,they brought on ian bowyer and suddenly,the game turned.

Bowyer powered a shot that swerved visably in the wind,and took it away from Grummitt and they lead 0-1 at half time.

Early in the 2nd half,Tony Coleman went on a mazy run,and struck a shot equal to bowyers,from all of 25 yards,corrigan dived,but got nowhere near it and the crowd stirred,urging them on for a winner,and for a time it looked as we mite escape the drop,but city were wounded by that awfull challenge,and looked a different team,bowyer scored a 2nd and there it ended,hillsbro emptied silently and there was disbelief,after city had almost gifted us the points,once incident changed the course of the whole future of a football club.

Ritchie and warboys were VASTLY different players,Ritchie came with a good pedigree at a high level,and a 1st class goals record at stoke,its argued he never got his fair share of goals with us,we never played to his strenghts in reality,but we constantly changed managers after buckingham left,which meant styles of play altered a lot,causing a lot of unrest among players,and transfers were sought by Ron Springett,McCalliog,Ritchie,Eustace and a few others.

Ritchie went back to stoke for a snip of the 70k we paid,and carried on scoring goals,his record was impressive,even after he left,sucumbing later to injury,he died a few years ago,but i always rated big john.

On the other hand,Warboys was young and untested,out of his depth at the higher level,streets better than Downes.Part of a deal that saw my old nieghbour Brian Usher move to doncaster,with Warboys and Wilcockson moving to s6.

warboys scored more goals that 1st season back in div2,but was never prolofic,ironically,we sold him to cardiff,in the same league and he then went onto score 16!his best spell came in div3 with bristol rovers for 4 seasons,but he never averaged more than a goal every 3 games,he cent back to finish his career at donny,then went back to his hometown of leeds and became a lorry driver!

Edited by staninoodle

The Man city match is part of folklore at s6.

Wednesday had to win,and palace would be relegated.City were in the cup winners cup against gornick,a polish side a week later,palace had finished thier fixtures 2 points above us,but with inferior goal difference,it was a cold wet and windy night,but the seasons biggest crowd,over 45k turned out.

Pre match,Wilf Smith and Prophett faced fitness tests,both passed.But Smith went off after 20 odd mins and Steve downes came on,switching Gerry Young to midfield,where Smith was now playing.

The game turned on an incidnet shortly after,Prophet made a clumsy,ill advised lunge on mike sumerbee,which would keep him out of the final,city played with thier hands in thier pockets,and the game was looking like a bit of a sham,they got a pen,and mike doyle tapped it straight to Grummitt.

But when sumerbee went off,it seemed to stir city with anger,they brought on ian bowyer and suddenly,the game turned.

Bowyer powered a shot that swerved visably in the wind,and took it away from Grummitt and they lead 0-1 at half time.

Early in the 2nd half,Tony Coleman went on a mazy run,and struck a shot equal to bowyers,from all of 25 yards,corrigan dived,but got nowhere near it and the crowd stirred,urging them on for a winner,and for a time it looked as we mite escape the drop,but city were wounded by that awfull challenge,and looked a different team,bowyer scored a 2nd and there it ended,hillsbro emptied silently and there was disbelief,after city had almost gifted us the points,once incident changed the course of the whole future of a football club.

Hiya Staninoodle, I believe Harry Dowd was in goal for Man City, it seemed he and Ian Bowyer were the only City players who hadn't been told (were not trying tonight.)

Hiya Staninoodle, I believe Harry Dowd was in goal for Man City, it seemed he and Ian Bowyer were the only City players who hadn't been told (were not trying tonight.)

Thats right Dowd was in goal.

It was an awfull night,in what was a terrible season,that started with that 1-4 defeat at city,and danny williams on tv slating the side publicly,and the cup defeat to scunthorpe at a packed hillsbro:mad: