Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Nice to see some replies to my question about SWFC.

Did anyone go the the mid week friendly at Hillsborough when they played Moscow Dynamo.

Also can anyone remember the crowd figure for the midweek match against Man Utd. Was it 55 000 or 65 000 ? Second part of the question , can anyone name them ? :-)

Nice to see some replies to my question about SWFC.

Did anyone go the the mid week friendly at Hillsborough when they played Moscow Dynamo.

Also can anyone remember the crowd figure for the midweek match against Man Utd. Was it 55 000 or 65 000 ? Second part of the question , can anyone name them ? :-)

If it's the FA Cup replay game at Old Trafford which Wednesday won 7-2 then the game was played on Wed 1st Feb 1961 in front of a crowd of 65,243. Scorers: Keith Ellis 3, John Fantham 2, Alan Finney 2. The first game at Hillsborough finished 1-1 with 58,000 watching it.

Did you miss my earlier post with the archive link?

If it's the FA Cup replay game at Old Trafford which Wednesday won 7-2 then the game was played on Wed 1st Feb 1961 in front of a crowd of 65,243. Scorers: Keith Ellis 3, John Fantham 2, Alan Finney 2. The first game at Hillsborough finished 1-1 with 58,000 watching it.

Did you miss my earlier post with the archive link?

I remember going straight from school and catching the train to see that game. Man U had a young lad in goal as their regular goalkeeper was injured. But we dominated the game anyway. I think we led 3-0 at h. time. I remember being surrounded by Man U supporters and one older guy (I was young back then) said to me, "Three nowt! That dunt mean owt at this level football. Wait 'til second arf." Oh, what a great game that was.

I started to be taken to hillsborough the season after the cup final in 1966 when i was about 6 years old. My first memory of the ground was emerging up the south stand steps and seeing the massive stand opposite with all the flags of the world and the lush green pitch and the colours on the kop. It was truly magical and ive never forgotten it...love at first sight! Was a regular throughout the rest of the sixties, taking our seats at 1.30 for every game! Remember a brilliant 6-1 win against Chelsea, McCalliog scoring a couple, he was my favourite player. The only one i remember missing in that period was the classic 5-4 against Man Utd, my mother refusing to let me go because of the potential 'trouble' with supporters...no telly in those days at every match so a real treasure was never captured for posterity. Just want to pay my tribute to Derek Dooley, a true gentleman and a great ambassador for Sheffield. Remembered with great affection at Hillsborough and a sad loss for the city. A great man.

I remember going straight from school and catching the train to see that game. Man U had a young lad in goal as their regular goalkeeper was injured. But we dominated the game anyway. I think we led 3-0 at h. time. I remember being surrounded by Man U supporters and one older guy (I was young back then) said to me, "Three nowt! That dunt mean owt at this level football. Wait 'til second arf." Oh, what a great game that was.

Ronnie Briggs played in goal that night, I think it was Dave Gaskell who was injured? Quite an amazing scoreline and vastly different to the post-Munich match of 1958.

I remember attending the home games versus West Ham and the Blades on consecutive saturdays. I had just started supporting the blades at the time and remember United racing into a two goal lead. The performance by Bobby Moore still rates as one of the best I've ever seen.

I remember attending the home games versus West Ham and the Blades on consecutive saturdays. I had just started supporting the blades at the time and remember United racing into a two goal lead. The performance by Bobby Moore still rates as one of the best I've ever seen.

17th and 24th Sept. 1966? Wednesday got a 2-2 draw in that "derby" game - goals by McCalliog and Munks own goal.

I remember Moore having an outstanding game in the 1964 semi-final at Hillsborough against Manchester United on a mud-bath of a pitch. Hammers won 3-1.

Ah !..Munks was it, a bit like Mallender and Flynn from that era in the sense that they are rarely remembered. Oops sorry just remembered that this is an Owls thread.

I remember that the 2-2 draw was played in good weather. I sat in the open seats at the side of the pitch, rival fans all sat together.

Wouldn't happen now !