Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

It was sad to hear Derek Dooley has passed away. He scored a lot of goals for the Owls before the clash with a goalkeeper resulted in him having a leg amputated. When I saw him play he looked so clumsy , all elbows & legs , somehow he always managed to score, not always with feet or head, he used knees, chest , backside anything other than hands. Maybe he has now got his leg back, rest easy you old owl.

• 4 weeks later...
in my loft, i have a copy of the programme for 1966 signed by both sides . my son and husband are unitedites. anyone interested?

Think you could get a few bob for that on ebay. I'll give you a fiver for it.

• 2 weeks later...

have just come on this site (late as usual ) and saw your comments on another thread reference pond street nora and coming home from the wednesday's away games in London. Can you recall coming back from one, then walking to Hillsborough and kicking a ball about whilst queing up for tickets for a cup game?. I arrived at my girl friend's house about dinner time (just up on Parson Cross) having left at about dawn the day before! and then informed her I was skint and we couldn't go out that week. Great trips to london and a really good caff near the station which could fry anything. My education was assisted by getting a copy of Lady Chatterley's Lover off a stall and finding all the dirty bits with half a dozen blokes all laughing their socks off. Great days.

It was sad to hear Derek Dooley has passed away. He scored a lot of goals for the Owls before the clash with a goalkeeper resulted in him having a leg amputated. When I saw him play he looked so clumsy , all elbows & legs , somehow he always managed to score, not always with feet or head, he used knees, chest , backside anything other than hands. Maybe he has now got his leg back, rest easy you old owl.

I saw Derek play and as you say, he did appear somewhat clumsy but he got the ball where he wanted it to be. I find his style similar to Crouch. I'm sure he gets most in with his knee or elbow.

I think the Craig being mentioned was the wrong one.

Bobby Craig played for Wednesday for a couple of years in the early 60s. A small inside forward (midfielder) with great ability spoiled it is said by his love of beer.

Played more than 2 blinders for the Owls one memory was his display against United at the Lane.

fa cup 6th round in 61 we won 2-0.

I think the Craig being mentioned was the wrong one.

Bobby Craig played for Wednesday for a couple of years in the early 60s. A small inside forward (midfielder) with great ability spoiled it is said by his love of beer.

Played more than 2 blinders for the Owls one memory was his display against United at the Lane.

fa cup 6th round in 61 we won 2-0.

Bobby was a little tank of a man Really fancied himself and was to be seen at the City Hall on a Saturday night telling all the girls how great he was that day. Had a terrific shot on him though, and was one of those colourful Scots as was Willie Henderson. Tommy was a good player more artistic than rugged and I assume it is the same guy as has been coonected to the Scotland team.

Bobby was a little tank of a man Really fancied himself and was to be seen at the City Hall on a Saturday night telling all the girls how great he was that day. Had a terrific shot on him though, and was one of those colourful Scots as was Willie Henderson. Tommy was a good player more artistic than rugged and I assume it is the same guy as has been coonected to the Scotland team.

Bobby Craig was a pint sized little guy who could weave magic on the field. He was a great dribbler of the ball. I saw him play a simply outstanding game when the Owls thrashed Man U 7-2 at Old Trafford. Alas, I also used to see Bobby around town the worse for wear on the drink. i think this was his demise, but he had great talent.

• 2 months later...
Nice to see some replies to my question about SWFC.

Did anyone go the the mid week friendly at Hillsborough when they played Moscow Dynamo.

Also can anyone remember the crowd figure for the midweek match against Man Utd. Was it 55 000 or 65 000 ? Second part of the question , can anyone name them ? :-)

Yes, I saw the Moscow Dynamo friendly. If I am correct, they had a winger called Mettravelli Alex I think or is that the tennis player. Did Wednesday win 2-1?I can remember the player but maybe not the score