Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Hi chairboy

i certainly agree with you when you say the team of the early 60.s was the best side in our time, it was great to be there to see teams like roma, lyons olympique, barcelona, colonge, werder brebem, moscow torpedo and moscow dynamo, in the inter cities fairs cup, i know it was only by invitation, but somewhere along the line we must have been a decent team even to be considered.

I have put this view forth before but to finish runners-up to the Spurs' double side of Nicholson (1961) was highly meritorious. That Tottenham side was outstanding and Wednesday halted their unbeaten run of about 15 games (12 Nov) at Hillsborough with a 2-1 win. The previous spring, they had been denied a Wembley appearance by some awful officials at a Maine Road semi-final which I saw first hand.

In 61/62 and 62/63, they finished sixth, both seasons, and that included a win at Highbury in Sept of '62 when Layne bagged both goals. I saw that game and that was the final time, Wednesday won at Highbury!

It throws up a question about the Owls' team. As Billy Griffin scored the first Wednesday goal, who in that line-up didn't play?

Got it! Griffin played instead of Fantham.

I've turned up the 10p programme of the second match on Wednesday February 23 1972 K.O. 2.30 Referee Gordon Hill (Leicester).

The Owls team as in programme: Grummitt, Rodrigues, Clements, Pugh, Holsgrove, Prophett, Sinclair, Tommy Craig, Joicey, Prendergast, Sissons.

SANTOS - Cejas, Carlos Alberto, Rildo, Ramos Delgado, Joel, Djalma Dias, Mondel Maria, Clodoaldo, Edu, Pele (10), Abel.

Eric Taylor remembering the '62 game, in particular the penalty.

"Pele who had produced the most fantastic display of ball artistry I've ever seen, did the fox-trot, a two-step and a tango as he stepped up to the ball. He then stopped dead and sent Ron Springett the wrong way. No goalkeeper in the world could have saved that penalty and the crowd went wild with delight. Yes, what a night. I hope we see the like again today."

I don't think we did?

loth as I am to take issue with anything the great Eric Taylor said, from my position on the Kop I am sure that Springett didn't actually move, having decided he wasn't going to look a mug even for the great man Pele. Wonderful times at S6 then, and if Peter Johnson was playing today he would be worth millions. Thanks for the picture Kidorry, you are a mine of information !!