Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Redfern Froggatt played from 1942-62. Keith Duncan Ellis, from Handsworth and former pupil of the boys' Central Technical School, made his league debut in 1955. Ellis was spotted whilst working as an engineering draughtsman at Edgar Allen.

I recall Ellis being nicknamed 'Lino' because he was somewhat limited on the floor but he scored 52 league goals in 102 games - how they could do with that now?

Ellis's chances became limited after Buckingham replaced Catterick.

There was a dispute as Buckingham proclaimed "all professional footballers are thick" to which Keith begged to differ having an HNC in mechanical engineering and having served in the RAF. Sadly, his defence seemed to have rattled Buckingham as Keith claimed he was given very little chance to shine, thereafter.

There was something of the players of that time. Their pay was crumbs in comparison to today but they were only too delighted to play for their LOCAL club - also a rarity these days.

Keith Ellis served Wednesday admirably and as well as in the 7-2 at Old Trafford, he also scored a hat-trick against Birmingham.

The last time I spoke to Keith was at Red Froggatt's funeral and he told me he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate. A very pleasant and INTELLIGENT man and a loyal man to the cause.

I remember Redfern Frogatt and even though he was coming to the end of his career he was still a good player, and if memory serves he played centre forward or inside left. I was a schoolboy back then and I remember the adults fondly called him Ticker, for what reason I don't know, perhaps someone could put me wise. Keith Ellis was one of the finest headers of a football I have seen, pity he had two left feet, probably missed more sitters than any other Wednesday player, but still fondly remembered, as is another centre forward of that era Roy Shiner my fathers favourite player. Roy was not the best centre forward in the world but he always gave one hundred per cent.

Yes, I recall Red Froggatt being referred to as "Ticker", a nickname that was also given to Ronnie Boyce at West Ham. I guess - they made their sides "Tick", being the pulse of the team with their unbounding energies.

Playing with one club for 20 years, virtually unheard of today - a magnificent servant to Sheffield Wednesday.

Roy Shiner came from the Isle of Wight and is also sadly no longer with us.

Keith Ellis - I spoke to him at Red's funeral (almost four years ago) and he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

Yes, I recall Red Froggatt being referred to as "Ticker", a nickname that was also given to Ronnie Boyce at West Ham. I guess - they made their sides "Tick", being the pulse of the team with their unbounding energies.

Playing with one club for 20 years, virtually unheard of today - a magnificent servant to Sheffield Wednesday.

Roy Shiner came from the Isle of Wight and is also sadly no longer with us.

Keith Ellis - I spoke to him at Red's funeral (almost four years ago) and he was running a corporate hospitality business in Harrogate.

I got to know Red well when with Derek's ex Wednesday for charity team. A true Gent and an extremely nice guy. He was not a bad player at 40 plus either. I unfortunately never met Keith Ellis but the memories of that Wednesday team will always stay.

Geoff

Memories of Albert Broadbent, Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle United. night match late fifties or early sixties. Ronnie Simpson Newcastle's Scottish international goalkeeper is having a blinder, it seems one of those nights for Wednesday they'll never score. Broadbent receives the ball on the left wing on the half way line, runs a couple of yards into Newcastle's half and unleashes a thunderbolt that Simpson never see's never mind stops,WHAT A GOAL.

Memories of Albert Broadbent, Sheffield Wednesday v Newcastle United. night match late fifties or early sixties. Ronnie Simpson Newcastle's Scottish international goalkeeper is having a blinder, it seems one of those nights for Wednesday they'll never score. Broadbent receives the ball on the left wing on the half way line, runs a couple of yards into Newcastle's half and unleashes a thunderbolt that Simpson never see's never mind stops,WHAT A GOAL.

4th September 1957 - 23,060 saw that Broadbent goal give the Owls a 1-0 win over Newcastle in what turned out to be a relegation season from the top flight. Three months after that goal, Albert was tranferred to Rotherham.

4th September 1957 - 23,060 saw that Broadbent goal give the Owls a 1-0 win over Newcastle in what turned out to be a relegation season from the top flight. Three months after that goal, Albert was tranferred to Rotherham.

Thanks for the information chairboy maybe you could help with this. Can anyone remember a player from the late fifties/early sixties called Don Kitchenbrand, non of my contemporaries remember him, but I have one overriding memory. If my memory serves me well I think it was sunderland who signed this rugged crew cut giant from the lower divisions where he had been knocking in goals left, right and centre, and he was going to face Wednesday in a night match. The only thing I remember of the match is Wednesday's centre half, in those days probably Swanny or Don McEvoy kicking Kitchenbrand up into the air and dumping him unceremoniously head first on the red shale track behind the leppings lane goal a yard from where we stood, giving him the worst case of gravel rash i've ever seen on both arms and legs. then wonder of wonders Kitchenbrand jumps up, dusts himself down and runs onto the field to await the resulting corner, no bleating, no arguing with the ref and no magic sponge, WHAT A MAN. Me and my mate looked at each other in amazement, gravel rash to us schoolboys was the worst thing that could happen to you, even worse than the indian burn and Kitchenbrand just carries on. How I long for the days when football was a mans game, not a game for prima donnas' and nancie boys.

I certainly remember South Afican Don Kichenbrand playing for Sunderland but not that specific incident. Yes, they had him at centre-forward and Charlie Hurley at centre-half.

Here is a link about when he moved to Scotland and had to keep quiet about his religion.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2005/12/31/newsstory7885748t0.asp

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Mplayers/MPG509.asp

To touch on your last point by reverting to Broadbent and Froggatt, in the season 1955-56, these men played in 41 of the Owls' 42 league games!

I certainly remember South Afican Don Kichenbrand playing for Sunderland but not that specific incident. Yes, they had him at centre-forward and Charlie Hurley at centre-half.

Here is a link about when he moved to Scotland and had to keep quiet about his religion.

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/output/2005/12/31/newsstory7885748t0.asp

http://www.thestatcat.co.uk/Mplayers/MPG509.asp

To touch on your last point by reverting to Broadbent and Froggatt, in the season 1955-56, these men played in 41 of the Owls' 42 league games!

Thanks again CHAIRBOY 6-0 to Wednesday I ought to have remembered that,33,398 what a crowd for a second division night match, and the Sunderland team looked a bit tasty with the likes of Willie Fraser, Stan Anderson,Charlie Hurley, Don Revie and Colin Grainger playing. The catholic Kitchenbrand, Rangers connection is very interesting.

Thanks again CHAIRBOY 6-0 to Wednesday I ought to have remembered that,33,398 what a crowd for a second division night match, and the Sunderland team looked a bit tasty with the likes of Willie Fraser, Stan Anderson,Charlie Hurley, Don Revie and Colin Grainger playing. The catholic Kitchenbrand, Rangers connection is very interesting.

If I may just extend the thread decade, another memory of a resounding Owls' success over Sunderland came just as World War 2 was ending; 25 August 1945 in a Football League North game, Wednesday walloped the Wearsiders 6-3. My late father (Rogers) and Jackie Robinson both bagged hat-tricks. I can't say I saw it as I wasn't even born! :thumbsup:

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s140/CHAIRBOY_2007/SWFCTRAINING.jpg

This was post-war training, either lapping round the ground or running up to Beeley Woods!

If I may just extend the thread decade, another memory of a resounding Owls' success over Sunderland came just as World War 2 was ending; 25 August 1945 in a Football League North game, Wednesday walloped the Wearsiders 6-3. My late father (Rogers) and Jackie Robinson both bagged hat-tricks. I can't say I saw it as I wasn't even born! :thumbsup:

It's a pity there isn't any TV footage of that Chairboy.

Geoff