Dads mystery first wife.

I recently obtained my mum and dad's wedding certificate and discovered that he was a widower when he married my mother.

Apart from his d.o.b. and info on the wedding papers to my mother I have no knowledge of his previous marriage.

The registrar office have no info. but told me to contact the main records office in Wales/they could not help.

He was born in 1902 so there are no living relatives to ask.

Anybody any idea where I could check now.

Would there be no local records?

Im not sure but they still did censuses after 1901 but just not sure how to access them.

Sorry, not much help. I'm in a similar situation. My grandfather was a widower when he married too.

My dad was a footballer and played for various teams /Birmingham/huddersfield/swansea/and a few more so I suppose he could have got married any where in Britain.You would think there must be a record somewhere but how to find it that is the problem.

It is possible to find your father's first marriage and the death of his first wife also.

You will need to have access to be able to search BMD (Births,Marriages & Deaths) which is usually by subscription to one of the research sites.

As this is relatively recent history it will be slightly sensitive information as there may be living relatives. I suggest that you place a post on something like:

http://www.sheffieldfhs.org.uk and ask if anyone would kindly give you the information.

If you would like to pm me I'll have a look for you myself but, I can't promise anything although I will try.

You will need to supply: your father's name/DOB/area/approximate date of second marriage so that someone searching knows the time periods to work within.

Hope this helps.

Archived