Any South Indian and Sri Lankan restaurants in Sheffield?

ttnim

Would anyone like to recommend what I should be having from there?

What are the quintessential South Indian dishes, as I've not had it before?

I'm omnivorous, meat is good, vegetarian fine as long as it's the main point and not a substitute (i.e falafels).

Much appreciated.

Me and my family are thrilled to bits this take away's been opened. My dad is south Indian (from Kerala to be precise) and my mum, despite being Indian too, isn't really a big fan of the typical curry house restaurant/meals. We've always been big on veg Indian food (south Indian, Punjabi and Gujarati), so it was virtually impossible to come by any actual restaurants in the area (though my parents promised they'd get back into cooking the stuff themselves at home lol!). Closest thing was going to Leicester.

Apparently one of the ladies who runs East & West handed my parents a flyer about the place a couple of weeks ago--and we have never looked back!! Got my fill of idli, sambhar and coconut chutney which are excellent. Also tried out the Sri Lankan mutton roll dish which is great too (couple of mates from uni are Tamil and tried them out when over at their flats). Will have to try out the dosa too.

Also, anyone remember Singapore Dosa (think that was its name), which was on Abbeydale Road as well? Opened around summer of 2004 but was short lived because the owners had visa problems, from what I heard. That said, I got the feeling the potential of south Indian cuisine in Sheffield was immense as the place was filled to the brim gradually. Demand was up and they had to often accommodate people outside...

I'm going to try this place tonight. Sounds spot on. I found a website that has their menu on but as you can't zoom it's impossible to read it! Someone should tell the owners about this thread - give them the chance to publicise themselves a bit further.

Do they take cards?

Brianthedog, no to cards unfortunately, but otherwise very good! I did take my parents there today -as someone commented above it is not a restaurant, but as a takeaway, very good indeed. Excellent dosas, the coconut chutney was great, and the mutton biryani mmmm! Shall be going again ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a masala dosa and hubby had mutton rolls and chicken rice. Very impressed. Prices were very good and they do 25% student discount.

They are doing lunch boxes too, 2 chappatis, rice and curry for £3.50 (I think) both veg and meat.

I think they should forget the fish & chip side of the business though.

Definitely will be going back there soon!

Archived