Any South Indian and Sri Lankan restaurants in Sheffield?

ttnim

Sorry for upsetting the apple cart on this one, but quite possible the worst Asian food I ever tasted. I still could gip thinking about it!!

And, I must say only tried the place after reccommendations on this thread!

Heathen!

Of course, it won't be to everyone's taste. Some of the spices used are not the usual ones found in UK 'curries' - the one that looks like a nutmeg and is tremendously sour seems to feature heavily, not to mention the chillis... I have tried many things on the menu and not all were ones that I would go for again - iddiyappam springs to mind. On the other had, masala dosa, cauliflower 65, mutton kotthu, channa kaddala were fantastic!

I see that the menu has recently expanded and features a few more westernised dishes - chicken korma for pity's sake - so I hope that they are not pandering to parochial Sheffielders and losing all the flavour.

Abbeydale Rd, East meets West. Small place basic table and chairs so not really restaurant, doesn't sell alcohol.....but very authentic. There are loads of places like this in Sri Lanka Columbo.

Currys are nothing like Indian ones so don't expect loads of meat. Very hot. I was in Sri Lanka a couple of years ago so nice to find it in Sheffield. Its the only one I know of. They also do take away food. Not too expensive, give it a go.

Heathen!

Of course, it won't be to everyone's taste. Some of the spices used are not the usual ones found in UK 'curries' - the one that looks like a nutmeg and is tremendously sour seems to feature heavily, not to mention the chillis... I have tried many things on the menu and not all were ones that I would go for again - iddiyappam springs to mind. On the other had, masala dosa, cauliflower 65, mutton kotthu, channa kaddala were fantastic!

I see that the menu has recently expanded and features a few more westernised dishes - chicken korma for pity's sake - so I hope that they are not pandering to parochial Sheffielders and losing all the flavour.

We had that last week. Very tasty. It's dusted in a very tasty spice mix - I'd love to know what it consists of... :thumbsup:

We had that last week. Very tasty. It's dusted in a very tasty spice mix - I'd love to know what it consists of... :thumbsup:

You can buy packets of '65' spice mix. Coat your veggies or meat with a bit of yoghurt and spice, marinate, then deep fry. Don't overdo the spicing, though. I nearly wiped out the family by going a little overboard. Not sure where you can get it from in the UK - we received a couple of kgs from a friend returning from Pondicherry!

As an alternative, try this recipe. Looks pretty good to me.

You can buy packets of '65' spice mix. Coat your veggies or meat with a bit of yoghurt and spice, marinate, then deep fry. Don't overdo the spicing, though. I nearly wiped out the family by going a little overboard. Not sure where you can get it from in the UK - we received a couple of kgs from a friend returning from Pondicherry!

As an alternative, try this recipe. Looks pretty good to me.

Cheers Pete - will have to try that one.

Heathen!

Im sure its to everyones taste when the fish you get from this place is hard ( im talking like a way overdone peice of tuna ( although was an asian fish) in a stone cold curry. A load of old bones in some well over done stoggy basmati rice.

The only thing which was half decent was the chicken but again was only luke warm. And again half decent was been kind to the bloody thing.

We only live 5 min drive from the place!!

Im sure its to everyones taste when the fish you get from this place is hard ( im talking like a way overdone peice of tuna ( although was an asian fish) in a stone cold curry. A load of old bones in some well over done stoggy basmati rice.

The only thing which was half decent was the chicken but again was only luke warm. And again half decent was been kind to the bloody thing.

We only live 5 min drive from the place!!

Sounds pretty poor, Rodge. Did you complain?

Many people use their hand to eat there, perhaps explaining why the food is not piping hot. Bones in both meat and fish are to be expected as well as it's just the way things are done. They should be able to cook a mean bit of basmati, though - the biriyanis have been fine there when I have visited.

Another thumbs up for East and West. It's on what used to be my way home from work, so I hold the place responsible for some of my recent weight gain.

I dropped in yesterday, and although it shows signs of getting trendy due to a recent refurbishment (the very thought of which sends a chill down my very untrendy, very uncool spine) the food was as excellent as ever.

I had the biriyani, as usual. It was delicious, as usual. Prices are relatively low - I must admit I was a little bit miffed when a few months ago, everything on the menu was increased by a pound or so. But looking at it with fresh eyes, and taking into account the quality of the food, it actually is still rather cheap.

Sticking with water to drink, my meal cost £5.50, and there were easily two portions in there. There are cheaper options as well - I think the dosa ( a thin crispy pancake filled wth onions and potatoes, and accompanied by a selection of dips) is one of them.

Archived