Finding records about a murder - 1945 and 1947

CathS

It seems that my maternal grandfather stabbed my grandmother in 1945 which caused her to die of a strangulated hernia through the diaphragm(some 2yrs later).

He was sentenced to 21months in prison in 1945.

How can i find details of these events, preferably online?

Many Thanks

Up until recently the court records were accessible at Sheffield Archives, but they have just been removed and now won't be available until 100 years has passed, as I understand it.

If you have a date from the Times then you should be able to find it in The Star or the Sheffield Telegraph, both of which are kept on film at Sheffield Local Studies library on Surrey St. It is best to book as they don't always have a film reader available.

Up until recently the court records were accessible at Sheffield Archives, but they have just been removed and now won't be available until 100 years has passed, as I understand it.

Oh No!

Any idea why? And is that 100 yrs from the actual court date?

They have brought in new policies now on security of personal data, which have meant these needed to be removed from public access. You could contact the Archives and ask what the access conditions are now.

It will be 100 years from the court date I would think.

Archived