Where Is The Dearest And Cheapest Pint Of Real Ale In Sheffield?

barpen

I am told of 2 pubs in the Totley area where one charges £2.95 for a pint of Tetleys whilst the other sells its real ale at £1.29. Surely this can't be right CAN IT?

Unfortunately if you dont understand the ins and outs of how pub companies work you wont understand the price differences between pubs.

I have explained this somewhere before but cant find it to cut and paste!

Managed houses are owned by the people that buy the beer in Bulk and own the property and Eg Carling is bought in at £100 for 22 gallons.

Free houses are owned lock stock and barrel by the landlord usually, he gets a discount but not as big as a manged house as obviously he is buying for usually 1 or 2 where a manged house might be buying for 1000+. He may buy in for £160.

Leaseholds are rented from the brewery and usually 'tied' to products that they must buy from the landlord at a set price. Currently a barrel of Carling is £226.

If you take the time to work the percentages it is actually wetherspoons that is charging too much, they operate on an average of 70%, freehouse on 60% and a leasehold on 44%. If so many leaseholders can operate on 44% why dont wetherspoons cut prices even more!

Unfortunately if you dont understand the ins and outs of how pub companies work you wont understand the price differences between pubs.

I have explained this somewhere before but cant find it to cut and paste!

Managed houses are owned by the people that buy the beer in Bulk and own the property and Eg Carling is bought in at £100 for 22 gallons.

Free houses are owned lock stock and barrel by the landlord usually, he gets a discount but not as big as a manged house as obviously he is buying for usually 1 or 2 where a manged house might be buying for 1000+. He may buy in for £160.

Leaseholds are rented from the brewery and usually 'tied' to products that they must buy from the landlord at a set price. Currently a barrel of Carling is £226.

If you take the time to work the percentages it is actually wetherspoons that is charging too much, they operate on an average of 70%, freehouse on 60% and a leasehold on 44%. If so many leaseholders can operate on 44% why dont wetherspoons cut prices even more!

I think most customers are more concerned about the amount that they are required to take out of their wallet. A pint at £1.50 is better value than the same pint at £2.00. It may well be the greed of pub companies that makes the difference, but that won't help the landlord if the customers drink in the pub down the road

Well we are around 2.40 to 2.60 for cask ale, but I do assure you the very best quality, which makes it so much more worthwhile than a discount pint that is too cold, too warm, a bit past its best, etc....I am so passionate about cask ale unless its PERFECT, its down the sink, regardless. Having said that, in 16 months I have only poured away less than 50 pints, we take such good care of it here....

You wont find 'slightly out of date' beer here, in fact any beer I get delivered which is too close to its BEST BEFORE date for my cellar schedule is sent right back where it came from PRONTO.....

Well here's my list of the cheapest (below 2.00) I can think of (however cheap doesn't make it a good pint mind!):

1.10 per pint @ George IV (Langset Rd)

1.26 per pint @ Old Mother Redcap (Totley) Sam Smiths Pub

1.33 per pint @ Cow & Calf (Grenoside) Sam Smiths Pub

1.20 per pint @ Fat Cat (Kelham Island) on mondays on some beers

1.40(ish) per pint @ wetherspoons (variable)

1.70 per pint @ Cask and Cutler (Shalesmoor)

1.80 / 1.90 per pint @ Kelham Island Tavern / Fat Cat (Kelham Island)

Then of course there are many, many other places, too many to mention across the city. I've found the cheapest area is Kelham Island in general and then other areas, for instance Crookes and the City Centre iro 2.30 - 2.50 or so seems average.

At the end of the day its all down to personal preference, but if people want to pay closer to 3.00 now days for the pints of p**s that is Stella & Carling then decent ale provides far better value for a superior product.

Slightly deviating from the Real Ale topic - cost me £3.25 for a pint of Stella in Fagan's on Friday! :rant:

I'd have walked out if I hadn't already started a pint of much more sensibly priced and perfectly good Moonshine (the Stella wasn't for me).

Well here's my list of the cheapest (below 2.00) I can think of (however cheap doesn't make it a good pint mind!):

1.10 per pint @ George IV (Langset Rd)

1.26 per pint @ Old Mother Redcap (Totley) Sam Smiths Pub

1.33 per pint @ Cow & Calf (Grenoside) Sam Smiths Pub

1.20 per pint @ Fat Cat (Kelham Island) on mondays on some beers

1.40(ish) per pint @ wetherspoons (variable)

1.70 per pint @ Cask and Cutler (Shalesmoor)

1.80 / 1.90 per pint @ Kelham Island Tavern / Fat Cat (Kelham Island)

Then of course there are many, many other places, too many to mention across the city. I've found the cheapest area is Kelham Island in general and then other areas, for instance Crookes and the City Centre iro 2.30 - 2.50 or so seems average.

At the end of the day its all down to personal preference, but if people want to pay closer to 3.00 now days for the pints of p**s that is Stella & Carling then decent ale provides far better value for a superior product.

The Redcap is in Bradway not Totley

Beer prices might be set to rise even further if the Alcohol Health Alliance have their way... Aparently these mis-guided Daily Snail Readers (you know what I mean) are calling on the Government to increase tax on alcohol by as much as 20-30% as a way to solve binge drinking in Britain. Morons...

Anyway, there's a petition to thwart their devious little plans here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/taxonalcohol/

There are some other really interesting petitions on there too...

• 3 weeks later...
Beer prices might be set to rise even further if the Alcohol Health Alliance have their way... Aparently these mis-guided Daily Snail Readers (you know what I mean) are calling on the Government to increase tax on alcohol by as much as 20-30% as a way to solve binge drinking in Britain. Morons...

Anyway, there's a petition to thwart their devious little plans here: http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/taxonalcohol/

There are some other really interesting petitions on there too...

Just picked up from another thread that a pint of Tim Taylors Landlord is now £3.10 in the Crown at Totley.

Can anyone confirm this? If so that has to be an outrageous price to pay for a 4.3% handpull, particularly when served in a brim measure glass containing far less than a pint.

It looks like it is possible to go to Sheffield pubs and pay more than 2 1/2 times the price in one than you need to pay in another...

I wonder if there is a chippy charging £8.50 for cod and chips wrapped in newspaper???

Just picked up from another thread that a pint of Tim Taylors Landlord is now £3.10 in the Crown at Totley.

Can anyone confirm this? If so that has to be an outrageous price to pay for a 4.3% handpull, particularly when served in a brim measure glass containing far less than a pint.

Especially since its not a particularly good beer.

Archived