Where Is The Dearest And Cheapest Pint Of Real Ale In Sheffield?

barpen

Unfortunately, leaving aside the economic argument, the more people who go out of their way to drink in the 'cheap' managed houses are only contributing to the demise of quality traditional pubs. If you want a Country that ends up populated solely by Weatherspoons' and other cut price chains/faceless bars, then this is the way to go..Weatherspoons and other Managed chains offering cut price beer are destroying the wonderful and comprehensive history of the English pub landscape....hundreds of years of heritage are being destroyed and every person who drinks in Weatherspoons and other managed chains are contributing to the death of the traditional leasehold pubs....as more and more traditional pubs go to the wall, at around 100 a month at the moment ( and increasing), the range of products is going to shrink right back to horrible corporate sponsored brands like Carling, etc, and regional beers will start to vanish off the face of the earth AGAIN....let's NOT do this as real ale is currently thriving, but the more pubs that close, the less chance these ales have of thriving in the future...

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I would like to think, as do ALL my customers, that it's worth paying a little bit extra for

1)a pint of ale in a pub with a REAL landlord, and not a 'duty manager' who can't be bothered to give anyone the time of day

2) a traditional leasehold/tenanted pub where the owners actually CARE about the customers and the products and will talk to you as a human being and valued customer (try making small talk and chat with a Manager in a Managed House or indeed ANY bar staff in Weatherspoons.....they just can't be bothered...)

3) An environment often unique to that building, and not a faceless corporate branded clone of every other chain pub in the UK

and that's just THREE reasons...there are many more....

Yes but can you confirm that a decent pint of real ale is available for £1.10.

QUOTE]

I can't confirm if it's still £1.10 cos I Grolsch and fruit/wheat beers, but many of my friends do and they're all happy with it.

It's Wentworth Imperial, just rebadged for the pub.

I wonder if there is a chippy charging £8.50 for cod and chips wrapped in newspaper???

Leaving aside the newspaper (which is probably extra), if you're daft enough may I direct you to the forthcoming "Loch Fyne" restaurant opening soon in Broomhill......

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=3049589&postcount=21

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, leaving aside the economic argument, the more people who go out of their way to drink in the 'cheap' managed houses are only contributing to the demise of quality traditional pubs. If you want a Country that ends up populated solely by Weatherspoons' and other cut price chains/faceless bars, then this is the way to go..Weatherspoons and other Managed chains offering cut price beer are destroying the wonderful and comprehensive history of the English pub landscape....hundreds of years of heritage are being destroyed and every person who drinks in Weatherspoons and other managed chains are contributing to the death of the traditional leasehold pubs....as more and more traditional pubs go to the wall, at around 100 a month at the moment ( and increasing), the range of products is going to shrink right back to horrible corporate sponsored brands like Carling, etc, and regional beers will start to vanish off the face of the earth AGAIN....let's NOT do this as real ale is currently thriving, but the more pubs that close, the less chance these ales have of thriving in the future...

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

I would like to think, as do ALL my customers, that it's worth paying a little bit extra for

1)a pint of ale in a pub with a REAL landlord, and not a 'duty manager' who can't be bothered to give anyone the time of day

2) a traditional leasehold/tenanted pub where the owners actually CARE about the customers and the products and will talk to you as a human being and valued customer (try making small talk and chat with a Manager in a Managed House or indeed ANY bar staff in Weatherspoons.....they just can't be bothered...)

3) An environment often unique to that building, and not a faceless corporate branded clone of every other chain pub in the UK

and that's just THREE reasons...there are many more....

I don't agree. I have been bad mouthed by 2 landlords in freehouses for asking for a short measure to be topped up. In another I was thrown out and told never to come back for returning a pint that was only fit to use as vinegar on my fish supper.

The main threat to tenanted houses is the high rents that force beer prices ever higher. As some pubs are now selling beer at £3.50/(short measured) pint, when the same beer is available in the supermarket at around £1/pint, it is little wonder that folks are choosing to drink at home.

It is not the customers who are wrong (the customer is always right). It is the people who now own the pubs and their money grasping methods. THEY don't care whether a pub survives or not. The corporate mentality is happy for tenants to go bust. They will soon find some else to take up the lease. Even if they can't the property will be sold off to the highest bidder.

IT IS ALL ABOUT SHORT TERM GAIN. There is no interest in long term investment.

Been some mention of the other Sam Smiths' pubs, but don't forget that if you're looking in the city centre the Brown Bear on Norfolk Street is finally open again and very tastefully refurbished (structurally and decoratively). A pint of their Sovereign is (I believe) £1.39 / pint all day every day, compared to (again, IIRC) £1.31 before the nine month closure. A fair mark up for the building work that's been done :D

Been some mention of the other Sam Smiths' pubs, but don't forget that if you're looking in the city centre the Brown Bear on Norfolk Street is finally open again and very tastefully refurbished (structurally and decoratively). A pint of their Sovereign is (I believe) £1.39 / pint all day every day, compared to (again, IIRC) £1.31 before the nine month closure. A fair mark up for the building work that's been done :D

And let's not forget that a large portion of that rise is due to some Scottish bloke who appears to be running our country. Duty rise plus VAT. Grasping Gordon.

It is difficult to keep pace with increases at the moment. You go in a pub one day and by the following week it seems to have gone up 15p. What ever happened to those 1p increases?

The highest price I have seem in a pub for a pint of regular handpulled ale was £3.10 in a pub already mentioned on the thread.

I find it scandalous. It only seems about 18 months ago that prices went through the £2 barrier.

This is from the Guardian in November

Price of a pint 'could rise 60%

'Teena Lyons guardian.co.uk,

Tuesday November 20 2007

The average price of a pint of beer could hit £4 after poor weather forced up the price of hops.

Scottish & Newcastle today forecast "material price increases" next year. The brewer, which sells three of the top 10 beer brands in Europe including Kronenbourg and Foster's, is also reviewing its supply chain in a bid to cut costs.

Industry experts say the cost of an average pint will rise by at least 15p, although some are now predicting rises of up to 60%.

According to the British Beer and Pub Association (BBPA), the average price of a pint of lager is £2.50, with bitter fans paying around £2.20. A 60% hike would take the average cost of lager to £4 and that could be even higher in some bars.

"It is a bleak time for everyone," said Iain Lowe, research and information manager at Camra. "These price rises have been predicted for a long time. Hop farmers have not seen any price rises for years, but the appalling summer has finally forced the prices up.

"Prices at the pump could easily go up by 60%."

S&N, which is fighting a hostile bid from Carlsberg and Heineken, today reported a 3.1% drop in first-half profit – blaming the record rainfall and a strike in France which dented sales.

In February, the Edinburgh-based company said England's smoking ban, which took effect in July, would cut £10m from annual profit.

Britain's wash-out summer has been blamed for price rises in bread, fruit, milk, cheese and eggs, as well as for heavy discounting on the high street.

The warning of a rise in the cost of a pint coincides with news from the BBPA, which represents the brewing and pub industry, revealing that 14m fewer pints are being sold in pubs each day.

Major British brewers saw their profits fall by 78% between 2004 and 2006. The BBPA says the industry is being further hampered by the Treasury which claims 33p out of the cost of every pint.

Last week a source at S&N warned that the price increases would be "way above the rate of inflation" as it tries to recoup losses from higher cereal, crude oil and aluminium prices, according to pub trade paper the Morning Advertiser.

NOT A GOOD TIME FOR ALISTAIR DARLING TO PUT WAY ABOVE INFLATION INCREASES IN DUTY ON OUR BEER FOR THE NEXT FEW YEARS.

The Guardian article was written before the budget and so tax rises would be on top of their projection.

According to CAMRA. The Campaign for Real Ale. It is predicted that beer will top £6.50 per pint by the time the Olympic Games arrive in 2012.

[quote name=According to CAMRA. The Campaign for Real Ale. It is predicted that beer will top £6.50 per pint by the time the Olympic Games arrive in 2012.

.[/quote]

Bloody hell... That's enough to make anyone go on the wagon

Archived