Where Is The Dearest And Cheapest Pint Of Real Ale In Sheffield?

barpen

Been some mention of the other Sam Smiths' pubs, but don't forget that if you're looking in the city centre the Brown Bear on Norfolk Street is finally open again and very tastefully refurbished (structurally and decoratively). A pint of their Sovereign is (I believe) £1.39 / pint all day every day, compared to (again, IIRC) £1.31 before the nine month closure. A fair mark up for the building work that's been done :D

Unfortunately though, Sovereign isn't a real ale.

but take into account annual pay increases for all and it is about the same as now in real terms

Even by London prices, that's pushing it. Certainly, at an average of about £2.30 for a session beer in a local at the moment, an increase of £4.20 to reach that price is wild in the extreme.

Of course CAMRA (of which I'm a member) will be looking to the top level to illustrate the problem, but I just can't see £6.50 for a pint of Tetley's in 2012.

Even by London prices, that's pushing it. Certainly, at an average of about £2.30 for a session beer in a local at the moment, an increase of £4.20 to reach that price is wild in the extreme.

Of course CAMRA (of which I'm a member) will be looking to the top level to illustrate the problem, but I just can't see £6.50 for a pint of Tetley's in 2012.

You should perhaps take it up with CAMRA if you are a member. The £6.50 is a claim made on the front page of their local magazine.

The Cask and Cutler....sorry "The Bottom Wellie":rolleyes: was selling Canon Royal Fruiterers Mild for £1 on Tuesday - I assume it was purely a one off though.

Their standard session ale, Baby Git, is still good value at £1.80

The Cask and Cutler....sorry "The Bottom Wellie":rolleyes: was selling Canon Royal Fruiterers Mild for £1 on Tuesday - I assume it was purely a one off though.

Their standard session ale, Baby Git, is still good value at £1.80

Sounds good to me.

Do they still use oversized glasses as well.

I too am a CAMRA member and sometimes think they do more harm than good by scaremongering about the future price of a pint. The problem is, if they make a more realistic prediction, people aren't surprised, the press don't pick up on it and no-one takes any notice.

I'm off the Brentford tomorrow and expect to be paying over £3 a pint for even a session beer. I suppose we all ought to have the occasional London pub crawl to remind ourselves that here in South Yorkshire we're not really doing too badly re the price of real ale!

Archived