Where Is The Dearest And Cheapest Pint Of Real Ale In Sheffield?

barpen

Basic duty on a 4% beer was 31p post April. This increased by 4p if I remember right.

That is an increase of 12.5%. This increases all other costs surrounding buying a pint.

If the price of our pints goes up 12.5% year on year I don't know where that leaves us except for the fact many pubs won't survive as we appear to be entering a recession.

£2.70 pint of Landlord in Lescar! Ripsaw felt ripped off.

I feel we are fast approaching the level where many drinkers will simply stop going to the pub on a regular basis.

As money starts to get tighter buying beer in bottles or cans and wine and inviting mates back to one's home starts to look more and more attractive.

Once on that downward spiral it is very difficult to recover the situation.

Wine to drink at home is less readily available at £2.70/pint

I feel we are fast approaching the level where many drinkers will simply stop going to the pub on a regular basis.

As money starts to get tighter buying beer in bottles or cans and wine and inviting mates back to one's home starts to look more and more attractive.

Once on that downward spiral it is very difficult to recover the situation.

Wine to drink at home is less readily available at £2.70/pint

I think we're already there. In real terms, the cost of drinking at home has fallen through the floor in recent years, probably to counter the 'booze cruise' culture.

When I was at college and living in Crookes 17 years ago, a 4-pack of Stella was roughly £4, a cheap bottle of wine about £3, a bottle of spirits £9 cheapest. A pint of Boddington's in my local was £1, and Castle Eden Ale £1.02.

Now, after 17 years of fairly low inflation, and the obvious pay increases, I can get 8 cans of Stella for £5, wine is roughly the same price; you can get a bottle of "own brand" spirits for less than £7, and even the popular brands are pretty much at the same prices they were nearly 20 years ago. And that is taking into account the recent hike on the duty on spirits.

The beers in my old local have changed since its Whitbland days, but are now nearly 150% more expensive than in those days, for a beer of comparable strength.

I'm not saying it's the licensee's fault; far from it, but when the discrepancy is so large, and another factor being the greater range of home entertainment now (Football Manager on a Spectrum Plus 2 was about as good as it got), it's hardly surprising that people are abandoning the local.

I think we're already there. In real terms, the cost of drinking at home has fallen through the floor in recent years, probably to counter the 'booze cruise' culture.

When I was at college and living in Crookes 17 years ago, a 4-pack of Stella was roughly £4, a cheap bottle of wine about £3, a bottle of spirits £9 cheapest. A pint of Boddington's in my local was £1, and Castle Eden Ale £1.02.

Now, after 17 years of fairly low inflation, and the obvious pay increases, I can get 8 cans of Stella for £5, wine is roughly the same price; you can get a bottle of "own brand" spirits for less than £7, and even the popular brands are pretty much at the same prices they were nearly 20 years ago. And that is taking into account the recent hike on the duty on spirits.

The beers in my old local have changed since its Whitbland days, but are now nearly 150% more expensive than in those days, for a beer of comparable strength.

I'm not saying it's the licensee's fault; far from it, but when the discrepancy is so large, and another factor being the greater range of home entertainment now (Football Manager on a Spectrum Plus 2 was about as good as it got), it's hardly surprising that people are abandoning the local.

It is all very worrying. The British pub is a real tourist attraction and yet we are hell bent on killing them off.

Alistair Darling did not need at add 4p to the rate of duty on draught beer. He could have added an increase to bottled or canned drinks. This would have given the pubs a bit of a boost whilst putting a brake on the problem of cheap supermarket booze.

Even our local post office stocks 5 brands of lager at 8.5% ABV or higher and they are a fraction of the price of pub beer.

The problem is that as pubs are forced out of business, people will drink more of the cheap supermarket booze. They can buy about 3 times the amount that their budget would buy at the pub.

Pricing pubs out of the market could cause the biggest increase in binge drinking this country has seen. And it would all be caused by the greed of the Chancellor and the pub companies who set the excessive rents.

The Dove is alive and kicking and a great traditional real ale pub, and long may we continue:)

I can't fault you, and it's impressive how you are thriving, but in fairness, you're not the same as a suburban local. I can't walk out of my place and go for a really good beer (B&W TV and rock too!) for the last hour or so at all.

Granted, no pub will turn a profit on latecomers, but that's part of the point of a local; you can drop in for a pint or two once everyone's settled. To get get to your great establishment means a round trip of about 10 miles (not as the crow flies), and at 9.30 or so of an evening, that ain't happening!

I can't fault you, and it's impressive how you are thriving, but in fairness, you're not the same as a suburban local. I can't walk out of my place and go for a really good beer (B&W TV and rock too!) for the last hour or so at all.

Granted, no pub will turn a profit on latecomers, but that's part of the point of a local; you can drop in for a pint or two once everyone's settled. To get get to your great establishment means a round trip of about 10 miles (not as the crow flies), and at 9.30 or so of an evening, that ain't happening!

This is a more normal state of affairs...

Closure of the Moon.

Abbeydale Brewery are very sorry to announce the closure of the Moon.

We have invested a lot of time and a lot of money into the Moon but

unfortunately, whilst trade had improved significantly, it had not

improved quickly enough to make the business sustainable for us. The

on-going losses were significant. An issue which arose unexpectedly

necessitated us repaying some monies quickly and meant that we had to

close the pub quickly to stem the losses and make that repayment.

We are very sorry indeed for the staff who have all been fantastic,

and having to lose them was the hardest thing about all this.

This does not mean the pub will necessarily stay closed permanently.

We would very much like to see a new tenant take it over, someone who

could run it themselves and hence make a living out of a lower

turnover than that we require to sustain the business paying

managers, and we are looking to see if we can help this to happen.

Realistically we are having to close because the pub had insufficient

custom to make the business viable. The message here for everyone who

appreciates the efforts of any pub or venue has to be "Use it or lose

it." In the present climate many pubs are in danger if people don't

actually use them.

The good news for us is that in closing the Moon we have very much

secured the future of the brewery and our first pub, the Rising Sun,

which are both healthy, profitable businesses.

It was a heartbreaking decision for us but one which we had to make

to secure the future.

Patrick and Sue Morton

yes I see your pint..or rather your POINT:)

We do though have a real collection of 'regulars' who live outside of the town centre, and who appear to delight in 'popping in' as we are their true 'local' in spirit anyway if not in proximity. I am often surprised when people tell me the Dove is their 'local' , when in fact they live in Killamarsh!!

Archived