What was MANOR TIP

I was looking at old sheffield pictures about manor lane and 1 cropped up about (manor tip off manor lane).

what was it ?, and where is it ?.

Maor Tip was just sandwiched between Harborough Ave, Harborough Rise and Corker Bottoms, it was just the spoil heap from the Nunnery Colliery as kids we just called the lane that passed it Strawberry Lane. I seem to remember it was always burning deep inside and my parents always told me not to go any where near it. It was levelled off and landscaped in the late fifties.

Maor Tip was just sandwiched between Harborough Ave, Harborough Rise and Corker Bottoms, it was just the spoil heap from the Nunnery Colliery as kids we just called the lane that passed it Strawberry Lane. I seem to remember it was always burning deep inside and my parents always told me not to go any where near it. It was levelled off and landscaped in the late fifties.

I remember Strawberry Lane it started at the bottom of Sonecliffe Road (at the lowest end of the Manor) and wound its way towards the Wybourn. I spent many happy hours as a youngster playing in what was a large area of open fields that surrounded Strawberry Lane

covering a area from the back of City Road cemetry almost down to Darnall Dog Track and from Prince of Wales Road to the Wyboun. On the other side of Prince of Wales road was our other stomping ground Bowen Housetead woods. Now in the name of progress it is nearly all a built up area with the Parkway running right through the centre. No TVs in those days but we could always find something to do. Bored we never were.

Archived