Smoking ban/health and safety is causing problems in clubs

discodown

Went to Fez club last night and had a great time. Was a really good night but there were slight problems. Nothing that ruins a night just little niggly annoyances.

Firstly, why are there no smoke machines in clubs anymore? Presumably its because of the smoking ban. Thing is though they don't produce cigarette smoke, so is the smoke they did produce harmful or carcinogenic in some way? Or if not smoking ban then is it health and safety rules?

Secondly, why is it so light in clubs? I'm sure when pinup was at fez it was much much darker than it is now. Again is it a health and safety thing?

Reason I ask is, the lack of darkness and smoke means that people are a little more self conscious in clubs and don't seem as relaxed any more. Its affecting the atmosphere a bit and really clubbing is about being in dark smoky rooms where individual people lose their identity and become part of a crowd. Health and safety has no place in clubs! Clubbing should be a bit risky and naughty, it should be a place where you can lose your inhibitions and relax.

Other thing is the smoking ban means that people are on the move more, they don't settle in a place on the dancefloor and stay there, people are moving constantly.

All of which is a touch annoying but not massively serious. However what I would like to know from venue owners and promoters and suchlike is are there any solutions? How can we get smoke machines back, can we get around the smoking ban? Does anyone have any good ideas or thoughts? Because I think there will come a point where underground/illegal nights and venues will start to gain popularity because clubbing will become a bit too safe and boring for some people.

Hello Disco Down

There are no laws on smoke machines in clubs....unless of course they're powered by 20 Bensons! As for the lighting issue - venues need emergency lighting due to fire regs....but they're not that bright, so not sure what's happening at Fez.

Hope this helps!

sooooo, you don't think it's to make drink spiking more difficult?

Its a piece of **** now, in a lot of places, smokers have to leave their drinks inside unattended.

There might be four bouncers stood outside, not doing a thing. They should have someone looking after drinks too.

sooooo, you don't think it's to make drink spiking more difficult?
4 bouncers outside, 2 patrolling inside, about 200 people in the venue. unless the guys patrolling inside have super powers I would imagine its fairly easy to spike a drink

Archived