Smoking ban/health and safety is causing problems in clubs

discodown

Smoke machines are perfectly legal, and are used all over the city. There are no restrictions in their use, and they only hazard on their COSHH sheets is that the fluid should not be drunk, and should only be used with fluid designed for those machines. Several venues nationally have restricted the use of smoke machines due to customers deciding that the presense of smoke / haze in the venue meant they could smoke.

Light levels in clubs are mostly dictated by Licensing, Fire / Escape Risk Assesments and Insurance Companies. At Hallam Union there is a full emergency lighting system which is only activated in an emergency. During nights we can have a full blackout in all rooms.

Many of the smoking areas in the clubs are not licensed for the consumption of alcohol (it's hard enough to get permission to use outside areas at all from licensing), meaning drinks have to be left indoors. Also, to keep noise / disturbance down, people are not encouraged to stay outdoors longer than neccessary.

At hallam Union you cant bring your drink even to the toilet.

This is mainly due to people putting empty glasses and bottles into the toilets / urinals causing flooding. The policy is relaxed from time to time but people can't stop sticking their empties in inappropriate places. It is something which was decided by the Union management, not because of any external concerns / requirements.

(This is my opinion from working in several venues around the City as a lighting / sound engineer. It is based solely on my knowledge of the situation as I have been informed by venues and industry collegues. Don't take it as gospel!)

Smoke machines are perfectly legal, and are used all over the city. There are no restrictions in their use, and they only hazard on their COSHH sheets is that the fluid should not be drunk, and should only be used with fluid designed for those machines. Several venues nationally have restricted the use of smoke machines due to customers deciding that the presense of smoke / haze in the venue meant they could smoke.

Light levels in clubs are mostly dictated by Licensing, Fire / Escape Risk Assesments and Insurance Companies. At Hallam Union there is a full emergency lighting system which is only activated in an emergency. During nights we can have a full blackout in all rooms.

Many of the smoking areas in the clubs are not licensed for the consumption of alcohol (it's hard enough to get permission to use outside areas at all from licensing), meaning drinks have to be left indoors. Also, to keep noise / disturbance down, people are not encouraged to stay outdoors longer than neccessary.

This is mainly due to people putting empty glasses and bottles into the toilets / urinals causing flooding. The policy is relaxed from time to time but people can't stop sticking their empties in inappropriate places. It is something which was decided by the Union management, not because of any external concerns / requirements.

(This is my opinion from working in several venues around the City as a lighting / sound engineer. It is based solely on my knowledge of the situation as I have been informed by venues and industry collegues. Don't take it as gospel!)

Cheers thats helpful. Seems as though venue owners are voluntarily being responsible

Yup the lack of smoke was a bit odd in the Fez, I'm sure the emergency lighting wouldn't have seemed that bad if they'd been balanced out with being able to tell that there were actually some disco lights going on the dancefloor. I thought they'd removed the lighting rig at first, they're so ineffectual without the smoke.

Looks like we was had there, Disco. Can I just clarify that this too was nothing more than an observation for me and didn't (or couldn't) distract from a bonzer night out, Act Like Ya Know was crackin' :headbang:

(before anyone thinks this is more nightlife complaining!)

And on another serious note (honestly) when someone farts on the dancefloor and its a real killer, it empties the dancefloor quicker than "Ive got a brand new combine harvester" dropping. I remember someone doing it at the last UG and it was truly awful with no lovely cigarette smoke to mask the smell

Archived