Smoking ban/health and safety is causing problems in clubs

discodown

hey disco,

we have 2 smoke machines and 2 hazers in plug.

nearly always on......cept band gigs.

x

Really? I can't remember last time they were on. admittadly i'm not exactly in Plug every week but even so. I'm also curious, do you feel the smoking ban has affected business in any way or at the very least has it changed it?

Looks like we was had there, Disco. Can I just clarify that this too was nothing more than an observation for me and didn't (or couldn't) distract from a bonzer night out, Act Like Ya Know was crackin' :headbang:

(before anyone thinks this is more nightlife complaining!)

I think its really important to note that this shouldn't be a moaning thread. I'm not moaning at all i'm just interested in how the ban is affecting clubs and peoples thoughts on the matter. I'm especially interested in how venues are approaching the ban or if they've thought of any loopholes or anything

Smoke machines are perfectly legal, and are used all over the city. There are no restrictions in their use, and they only hazard on their COSHH sheets is that the fluid should not be drunk, and should only be used with fluid designed for those machines. Several venues nationally have restricted the use of smoke machines due to customers deciding that the presense of smoke / haze in the venue meant they could smoke.

Light levels in clubs are mostly dictated by Licensing, Fire / Escape Risk Assesments and Insurance Companies. At Hallam Union there is a full emergency lighting system which is only activated in an emergency. During nights we can have a full blackout in all rooms.

Many of the smoking areas in the clubs are not licensed for the consumption of alcohol (it's hard enough to get permission to use outside areas at all from licensing), meaning drinks have to be left indoors. Also, to keep noise / disturbance down, people are not encouraged to stay outdoors longer than neccessary.

This is mainly due to people putting empty glasses and bottles into the toilets / urinals causing flooding. The policy is relaxed from time to time but people can't stop sticking their empties in inappropriate places. It is something which was decided by the Union management, not because of any external concerns / requirements.

(This is my opinion from working in several venues around the City as a lighting / sound engineer. It is based solely on my knowledge of the situation as I have been informed by venues and industry collegues. Don't take it as gospel!)

well every other drinking venue has that concern as well. Just have hourly patrols. They have never allowed it and I was the first year to use the new union. The Union has such bad bar staff, of topic I know.

The rule has been in place since the HUBs opened, with relaxations several times and a result each time of increased cases of toilets being blocked.

If you have a problem with any staff or policies at the union, you can arrange a meeting to discuss your concerns, or fill in a comment form (there are always some on the Bar Phoenix bar, in the shop, and online at http://www.hallamunion.com/entertainment/barphoenix/haveyoursay). Comments are taken seriously, as the Union is a not-for-profit establishment it's not being run for the benefit of any shareholders.

Went to Fez club last night and had a great time. Was a really good night but there were slight problems. Nothing that ruins a night just little niggly annoyances.

Firstly, why are there no smoke machines in clubs anymore? Presumably its because of the smoking ban. Thing is though they don't produce cigarette smoke, so is the smoke they did produce harmful or carcinogenic in some way? Or if not smoking ban then is it health and safety rules?

Secondly, why is it so light in clubs? I'm sure when pinup was at fez it was much much darker than it is now. Again is it a health and safety thing?

Reason I ask is, the lack of darkness and smoke means that people are a little more self conscious in clubs and don't seem as relaxed any more. Its affecting the atmosphere a bit and really clubbing is about being in dark smoky rooms where individual people lose their identity and become part of a crowd. Health and safety has no place in clubs! Clubbing should be a bit risky and naughty, it should be a place where you can lose your inhibitions and relax.

Other thing is the smoking ban means that people are on the move more, they don't settle in a place on the dancefloor and stay there, people are moving constantly.

All of which is a touch annoying but not massively serious. However what I would like to know from venue owners and promoters and suchlike is are there any solutions? How can we get smoke machines back, can we get around the smoking ban? Does anyone have any good ideas or thoughts? Because I think there will come a point where underground/illegal nights and venues will start to gain popularity because clubbing will become a bit too safe and boring for some people.

I DJed on Sunday night at Sheffield Union (which is pretty damn zealous when it comes to enforcing H&S type rules) and it was plenty dark and extremely smoky, due to a near constantly running smoke machine right which was rather annoyingly shoved in the DJ booth right next to me. Whilst it's rarely been as obvious as the other nights I've pretty sure I've been in other venues recently with smoke machines.

This would lead me to suspect that you need to look somewhere other than the government to place the blame for clubs not being as dark and smoky as you'd like.

Incidentally I'm loving the effects of the smoking ban and have found it's really improved my nights out be they for pleasure or work.

Went to Fez club last night and had a great time. Was a really good night but there were slight problems. Nothing that ruins a night just little niggly annoyances.

Firstly, why are there no smoke machines in clubs anymore? Presumably its because of the smoking ban. Thing is though they don't produce cigarette smoke, so is the smoke they did produce harmful or carcinogenic in some way? Or if not smoking ban then is it health and safety rules?

Secondly, why is it so light in clubs? I'm sure when pinup was at fez it was much much darker than it is now. Again is it a health and safety thing?

Reason I ask is, the lack of darkness and smoke means that people are a little more self conscious in clubs and don't seem as relaxed any more. Its affecting the atmosphere a bit and really clubbing is about being in dark smoky rooms where individual people lose their identity and become part of a crowd. Health and safety has no place in clubs! Clubbing should be a bit risky and naughty, it should be a place where you can lose your inhibitions and relax.

Other thing is the smoking ban means that people are on the move more, they don't settle in a place on the dancefloor and stay there, people are moving constantly.

All of which is a touch annoying but not massively serious. However what I would like to know from venue owners and promoters and suchlike is are there any solutions? How can we get smoke machines back, can we get around the smoking ban? Does anyone have any good ideas or thoughts? Because I think there will come a point where underground/illegal nights and venues will start to gain popularity because clubbing will become a bit too safe and boring for some people.

I watch rock bands regularly and they all use smoke machines regardless of it being at the Arena or in the back room of a boozer.

I DJed on Sunday night at Sheffield Union (which is pretty damn zealous when it comes to enforcing H&S type rules) and it was plenty dark and extremely smoky, due to a near constantly running smoke machine right which was rather annoyingly shoved in the DJ booth right next to me. Whilst it's rarely been as obvious as the other nights I've pretty sure I've been in other venues recently with smoke machines.

This would lead me to suspect that you need to look somewhere other than the government to place the blame for clubs not being as dark and smoky as you'd like.

Incidentally I'm loving the effects of the smoking ban and have found it's really improved my nights out be they for pleasure or work.

I'm not blaming the government i'm asking questions theres a difference

and really clubbing is about being in dark smoky rooms where individual people lose their identity and become part of a crowd.

Can't think of anything worse.

I'm glad I'm an individual, and enjoy standing out in a crowd.

Each to their own I suppose

Archived