Smoking ban/health and safety is causing problems in clubs

discodown

I've said it many times, clubs were better before the smoking ban. Even if you did used to come home with your clothes smelling of smoke.

I agree, but only because thesedays if you nip off to the bar or somewhere, when you get back you wont be able to find the group of people as everyone is constantly moving to go out for a fag then come back inside, its a complete nightmare now, once you get lost you spend about 20 minutes looking for the people you arrived with!

I agree, but only because thesedays if you nip off to the bar or somewhere, when you get back you wont be able to find the group of people as everyone is constantly moving to go out for a fag then come back inside, its a complete nightmare now, once you get lost you spend about 20 minutes looking for the people you arrived with!
To be fair it was always that way in Republic

Firstly, why are there no smoke machines in clubs anymore? Presumably its because of the smoking ban. Thing is though they don't produce cigarette smoke, so is the smoke they did produce harmful or carcinogenic in some way? Or if not smoking ban then is it health and safety rules?

Secondly, why is it so light in clubs? I'm sure when pinup was at fez it was much much darker than it is now. Again is it a health and safety thing?

I was in Dempsey's last night; There is a working smoke-machine in there all right, and also one in Club Xes and in Affinity, all places where I go regularly.

It was also quite dark in Dempseys last night; although I found the lighting was shining right into my eyes as I walked along past the upstairs bar beside the dancefloor...

Earlier that night, there was a spate of illegal smoking in the downstairs toilet; I am sure the management knew who it was, but it is difficult to catch the culprits if they flush the fag down the loo!

I would have argued for a more constructive smoking-ban approach; venues which have a spare room, such as traditional pubs with the 'Lounge Bar'/'Public Bar' split, should be allowed to have a well-ventilated 'smoking room'. Some places, such as the Lion's Lair, which have a beer-garden are not even allowed to use it for smokers as it is apparently 'too enclosed'!

In Ireland where the smoking ban has been around 4 years, I visit many venues there, where smoking is allowed in a 'beer-garden' which to all intents and purposes is almost completely roofed over!

I'm not blaming the government i'm asking questions theres a difference

There was more than a hint of blame already being handed out in the way you asked the questions.

Yes thatsone of the well documented effects of smoking ban - more smelly pubs and clubs - ironic isnt it ...

Actually they're less smelly it's just that lesser smells that have always been there are no longer being masked by the previously all pervasive stench of stale cigarette smoke.

And on another serious note (honestly) when someone farts on the dancefloor and its a real killer, it empties the dancefloor quicker than "Ive got a brand new combine harvester" dropping. I remember someone doing it at the last UG and it was truly awful with no lovely cigarette smoke to mask the smell

yeah, it's awful - fag smoke can't even mask that!

smoking may be a horrible habit but it really has spoilt the atmosphere in clubs when the ban came into action, the clubs are now spending a lot of money to regain customers by making "nice" smoking areas/gardens. i recently went to a club in Scotland which although they have had the smoking ban for a long time before england - you could actually smoke in the club, it solved the problem legally by having a smokers area which had a massive open roof area(still inside the club) with huge grills in the floor which also sucked the smoke up, (i think its a way for the club to suck money out of our pockets lol)

Archived