WW2 bomb going off in Killamarsh 1970's/80's

Originally posted by deano

Sure i remember it going off around lunchtime,could be wrong though,i was outside the newsagents on charnock at the time,and vividly remember the shop window shaking,think it must have been in the school hols also,for me to be outside the shop at the time.

Could be wrong though,it was a long time ago.

It must have been before 4.30. Cos I was at work in Sheffied when it went off (see earlier post) and I finished at 4.30pm in those days.

Well we must have had our tea a lot earlier in those days.... its just that I remember standing on our garden looking over at the Opencast, not as many overgrown trees to block our view in those days. Think it was 1978, not sure. Dad sadly not here anymore or would have asked him. Its his claim to fame!!!

• 11 months later...

I was living in Killamarsh on Station road at the time, I was about 7 and I recall many shop windows on Bridge street were blown out by the explosion, I remember having been kept indoors and hearing the not so distant rumble, Im not too sure if the resultant explosion caused the area later known as 7 hills which was popular with off road bikers and bmx riders or if that was a separate thing altogether....

• 4 years later...
  • 5 weeks later...

The 2,200lb unexploded bomb, found in the Meadowgate opencast site (now the fishing lake in the Rother Valley Park) shattered the peace on Saturday November 26th 1977 when it was detonated by the Royal Engineers, Explosive Ordnance Disposal, Caterham, Surrey. The five foot "Herman" type bomb was unearthed by an excavator on Friday November 25th and detonated at 4.45 on Saturday afternoon. The Blast was felt as far away as Chesterfield and Sheffield. I was nearby

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I clearly remeber this happening out of the blue one evening we were just watching the tv and CABLAMO. I lived on sheepcote road and we could see the massive dust cloud. I did not even know there was a bomb until it went off. I remember the windows at Ross and Caterall ltd all being cracked and broken. All a long time ago know. See YA