Public Libraries in the 1950s

I used Highfield library from 1947 to 1957, even did my homework there in the winter evenings when it was too hectic in the house.

As soon as I was eleven I started on the Dornford Yates 'Chandos' and Leslie Charteris 'Saint' series and worked my way through them pretty quickly..

We had library tickets like little folders, and each book had a folder in its front cover. In the book's folder was a slip of card, which was taken out when we borrowed the book, and put in one of our tickets to be filed at the library.

Inside the front cover was a sheet for Date of return stamo.

It is called the Browne System, take a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Browne_Issue_System

http://orweblog.oclc.org/archives/001200.html

Tis indeed & the speed we reached when flicking thro those tkts, I know it was progress ?????? when the computer system was introduced (debatable I know) not nearly as many queries made on Browne system but when I had the chance of working at Grenoside I jumped at it. One of the few remaining libraries still on Browne, a community Library in the true sense of the word. Have worked at the majority of Libraries in the North of the City.. The old Burngreave, Tinsley, Firth Park Chapeltown Libraries the list goes on ............

As a young boy I began to visit Highfields Library, oh what an experience, Biggles, Gimlet and lots of others and then starting to grow up I read Rider Haggard, Dennis Wheatley, Arthur Conan Doyle and John Buchan. Nowadays there is too much distraction, I'm sure the kids of today don't know what they are missing, Halycon days.

I used to use Walkley Library on South Road, in the late fifties and early sixties, with occasional trips to Upperthorpe. We moved in the mid sixties, and then I went to Broomhill.

I like(d) the Walkley Building, although it was a bit drab and run down when I last visited.

I remember the little folder type tickets, fiction and non fiction, although I thought we had more than 2 of each. I cannot remember how many, though.

Archived