Do you believe in life after death?

Religion by definition is delusional. To be a believer, one has to convince onself that issues of faith without a shred of supporting evidence are 'truths'. Religion is built on such delusions and requires faith because it has no evidence for any of its assertions.

I disagree completely.

I have been practising Buddhism for years and it has revealed what it promised. That suffering in life can be reduced.

I don't know wether the more supernatural elements are true or not, I believe them but don't know.

But you can't say that it hasn't got any supporting evidence, the main, very black and white thrust of Buddhism is that life is suffering and by practicing the religion that suffering can be removed.

My suffering has been vastly reduced, as has the suffering of every one of my Buddhist friends who follows the teachings, the main premise of the religion even has scientific support, most famously here.

I agree that the supernatural elements have no supporting evidence, but to say

Religion is built on such delusions and requires faith because it has no evidence for any of its assertions[/Quote] in the case of Buddhism at least is clearly utterly wrong.

Religion by definition is delusional. To be a believer, one has to convince onself that issues of faith without a shred of supporting evidence are 'truths'. Religion is built on such delusions and requires faith because it has no evidence for any of its assertions.

There you're using the typical sceptics definition of what 'faith' is. Many religious people do not share you particular definition of 'faith'. For them, faith is not about proofs God's existence or non-existence: it's about a relationship with God.

Archived