Can we start laughing at Leeds United yet?

BasilRathbon

Or maybe for something like this due to those supporters with a justified reputation

Leeds United to face F.A. investigation

LEEDS United are set to be at the centre of a Football Association probe following allegations made by several members of the Doncaster Rovers playing staff on Sunday afternoon. It is thought that around 10 Leeds supporters spat on the Rovers' players as they walked between the Leeds and Doncaster fans to go and collect their trophy. It is thought that the incident wasn't caught by the SKY SPORTS television cameras, although the camera clearly thought a distressed United fan trying to take a swipe at Doncaster Captain Brian Stock, who was leading his side up the hundreds of steps to collect their winners medals and trophy.

It is thought that the club could face a £15,000 fine and a possible reduction in matchday ticket allocations next season should the F.A. find the club's fans guilty.

So of around 45,000 fans, ten of them were tits. And therefore the other 44,990 who were well behaved and accepted defeat by the better team gracefully must also be tits?

We just seem to have extreme fluctuations. We never seem to spend more than a season or two in mid-table. We're either battling it out at the top or scrapping it out in the bottom few places, as shown by this graph. So yes, the other Yorkshire teams may have had decent spells in the top flight, but in the last 40 years we've won 3 leagues, finished 2nd five times, won the FA Cup, been runner-up 3 times, won the UEFA Cup twice and been runner-up and semi-finalist the the European Cup/Champions League. Which is far more successful than any other Yorkshire team. That isn't arrogance, that's just a list.

I'd check on Wikipedia if you want to start quoting history. You've won less top league titles and less cup trophies than Wednesday. And nobody gets anything for coming second. And no one is interested in winning the old second division - that's just best of a bad bunch. You only get recognition for winning the top league - something you've done once in 30 years and only 3 times overall - less than Wednesday.

So that's a list which shows why you've no reason to be either arrogant or even proud, yet you still all are. which is why we hate you.

But TV will never make anyone happy. It used to annoy me 8 years ago when we were good and playing the most attractive football in the country that we would get shunted down the list on MOTD behind MU, Arsenal and Liverpool, irresective of scores or quality of football.

Also, coverage of Leeds is just interesting. Not necessarily in a good way, but surely even you lot must take great pleasure from watching yet another article about Ken and his dodgy offshore bank accounts and our ever-quickening descent into oblivion? :)

'the most attractive football in the country' :huh::hihi: No arrogance there then!!

Most successful clubs overall (1888 - present)

Team-Domestic-European-Worldwide-Total

English Football Champions FA Cup League Cup Charity Shield European Cup Cup Winners' Cup UEFA Cup Inter-Cities Fairs Cup European Super Cup Intercontinental Cup

Liverpool 18 7 7 15 5 - 3 - 3 - 58

Manchester United 17 11 2 16 3 1 - - 1 1 52

Arsenal 13 10 2 12 - 1 - 1 - - 39

Everton 9 5 - 9 - 1 - - - - 24

Aston Villa 7 7 5 1 1 - - - 1 - 22

Sunderland 6 2 - 1 - - - - - - 9

Newcastle United 4 6 - 1 - - - 1 - - 12

Sheffield Wednesday 4 3 1 1 - - - - - - 9

Blackburn Rovers 3 6 1 1 - - - - - - 11

Chelsea 3 4 4 3 - 2 - - 1 - 17

Wolverhampton Wanderers 3 4 2 4 - - - - - - 13

Leeds United 3 1 1 2 - - - 2 - - 9

Huddersfield Town 3 1 - 1 - - - - - - 5

Tottenham Hotspur 2 8 4 7 - 1 2 - - - 24

Manchester City 2 4 2 3 - 1 - - - - 12

Portsmouth 2 2 - 2 - - - - - - 6

Preston North End 2 2 - - - - - - - - 4

Derby County 2 1 - 1 - - - - - - 4

Burnley 2 1 - 2 - - - - - - 5

West Bromwich Albion 1 5 1 2 - - - - - - 9

Sheffield United 1 4 - - - - - - - - 5

Nottingham Forest 1 2 4 1 2 - - - 1 - 11

Ipswich Town 1 1 - - - - 1 - - - 3

Wanderers - 5 - - - - - - - - 5

Bolton Wanderers - 4 - 1 - - - - - - 5

West Ham United - 3 - 1 - 1 - - - - 5

I'd check on Wikipedia if you want to start quoting history. You've won less top league titles and less cup trophies than Wednesday. And nobody gets anything for coming second. And no one is interested in winning the old second division - that's just best of a bad bunch. You only get recognition for winning the top league - something you've done once in 30 years and only 3 times overall - less than Wednesday.

So that's a list which shows why you've no reason to be either arrogant or even proud, yet you still all are. which is why we hate you.

Since the war Wednesday have one the league cup once. And that's it. It's 68 years since Wednesday won the league. Since the beginning of time Wednesday are the most successful team in Yorkshire. But as far as the memory of the vast majority of fans goes back, that isn't the case. And I never mentioned the old second division. Besides which, SW have won that five times anyway, which I think is more than us.

'the most attractive football in the country' :huh::hihi: No arrogance there then!!

At our best we were magnificent. Granted we weren't always at our best, and had a tendancy to bottle things, hence never winning anything. But you don't put 6 past Besiktas, 4 past Anderlecht, 3 past then Spanish champions Deportivo and beat Milan and Lazio without playing some very nice football. It was quick, pacy and clever, and not dissimilar to the Arsenal team of five years ago (although not as good, I wouldn't try to convince anyone that we were a patch to watch on Henry, Bergkamp and Pires at their best).

I know, it's odd. When we were winning things I could understand it. There's always a painful jealousy that people feel, which is why everyone hates Man Utd, Chelsea and Liverpool. Although oddly nobody seems to dislike Arsenal. But I'd have thought that now we've disappeared into irrelevant obscurity everyone would've had a quick point and giggle at us and forgotten about the whole thing, as has happened with Millwall. But evidently the Owls and Blades feel otherwise. And the Bradford fans, although that's just funny as they seem to forget they're in a division below us!

As a Manchester United fan who dislikes Leeds United strongly I can assure you the hatred doesn't stem from jealousy. My hatred for Leeds comes from the complete lack of morals your support has, the chants regarding the Munich disaster, the death of Matt Busby and various other chants leave many people disgusted.

The fact that Leeds still consider themselves to be one of the top teams in the country, when infact they're in the 3rd league in England (for another season too).

You argue Leeds deserved to be promoted this season which I disagree with. Your performances this season merited you with an oppourtunity to gain promotion through the playoffs in which you played poor and expected things to be handed to you.

Leeds have a great fanbase, but you wont be watching Leeds in Europe for the next 10 years at least - there's plenty of other clubs with a similar amount of support who are in a much better position than you, and even they struggle for Europe (see Newcastle).

So to cut it short, the arrogance, vulgarity and blind optimism of Leeds fans is why EVERY club in the country dislikes your fans, but in all honesty - unless you get a lucky draw in the FA or League cup, we wont be seeing you at Old Trafford any time soon :)

Since the war Wednesday have one the league cup once. And that's it. It's 68 years since Wednesday won the league. Since the beginning of time Wednesday are the most successful team in Yorkshire. But as far as the memory of the vast majority of fans goes back, that isn't the case. And I never mentioned the old second division. Besides which, SW have won that five times anyway, which I think is more than us.

At our best we were magnificent. Granted we weren't always at our best, and had a tendancy to bottle things, hence never winning anything. But you don't put 6 past Besiktas, 4 past Anderlecht, 3 past then Spanish champions Deportivo and beat Milan and Lazio without playing some very nice football. It was quick, pacy and clever, and not dissimilar to the Arsenal team of five years ago (although not as good, I wouldn't try to convince anyone that we were a patch to watch on Henry, Bergkamp and Pires at their best).

So basically you want to pick out who has been most successful historically based on a time line that YOU dictate?

And you wonder why you are called arrogant.

1991 was the last time you won anything. Only one year later than Wednesday last won a major trophy, so over the last 20 years we are even.

And Sheffield United were the last team in the Premiership if you want history to be judged over the last 5 years.

And Doncaster and Barnsley are in a league above you if you want history to be based on an even smaller scale.

But you only want that one window where you actually can manipulate the stats in your favour. Arrogant.

And I can honestly say, you were never EVER magnificent. All teams have good spells. You may have had a few in a few games. But that is all.

Talk about deluded.

As a Manchester United fan who dislikes Leeds United strongly I can assure you the hatred doesn't stem from jealousy. My hatred for Leeds comes from the complete lack of morals your support has, the chants regarding the Munich disaster, the death of Matt Busby and various other chants leave many people disgusted.

The fact that Leeds still consider themselves to be one of the top teams in the country, when infact they're in the 3rd league in England (for another season too).

You argue Leeds deserved to be promoted this season which I disagree with. Your performances this season merited you with an oppourtunity to gain promotion through the playoffs in which you played poor and expected things to be handed to you.

Leeds have a great fanbase, but you wont be watching Leeds in Europe for the next 10 years at least - there's plenty of other clubs with a similar amount of support who are in a much better position than you, and even they struggle for Europe (see Newcastle).

So to cut it short, the arrogance, vulgarity and blind optimism of Leeds fans is why EVERY club in the country dislikes your fans, but in all honesty - unless you get a lucky draw in the FA or League cup, we wont be seeing you at Old Trafford any time soon :)

I've been going to Elland Road for 15 years and heard no such chants. I very much doubt that, for 99% of our fans, we would find anything remotely funny about the death of any opposition players or staff, irrespective of how strong the rivalry was.

We didn't deserve to win the playoffs because we were beaten fairly by a team that outplayed us on the day. We were diabolical in the first leg of the semi, mostly fantastic in the return game, but weak in the final and we didn't deserve to win the game. But I think we deserve promotion based on the fact we amassed 91 points this season. But that's another matter, and I'm sure anyone who isn't a Leeds fan will blindly insist that the clearly wrong punishment given to us should stand, if for no other reason than it kept us down.

We think we're big because we have massive attendaces for a League 1 side. This may or may not be an accurate figure on which to judge things. I don't think we're that blindly optimistic. I for one expected us to lose on Sunday, because that's just what we do, get to the last hurdle (or near the last hurdle) and fall. Since I've been watching Leeds we've finished 3rd or 4th in the league a few times, lost a league cup final, lost two playoff finals and two major European semi-finals. It's what we do, we're very good at nearly winning things and very bad at winning things.

It is very, very frustrating that there is a very small minority of Leeds 'fans' who see fit to act disgracefully wherever they go, and leave the endless thousands of the rest of us who just want to support the team and watch some football getting tarnished with some dirty arrogant thugs brush that, frankly, the vast, vast majority of supporters are not deserving of.

I don't expect, nor do I expect anyone else to believe, Leeds to be playing in Europe anytime soon. We now pretty much have to start from scratch. What we need to hope for is that our history and name will allow us to attract a better class of player than the average team in our division. Not that we have much to spend. Now that for the first time in an eternity we are debt-free, we can set about rebuilding from the ground up and hopefully secure a top-two spot next year (because I don't think we'll ever win a play-off final, it requires an on-the-day nerve that we seem to be lacking).

So basically you want to pick out who has been most successful historically based on a time line that YOU dictate?

And you wonder why you are called arrogant.

1991 was the last time you won anything. Only one year later than Wednesday last won a major trophy, so over the last 20 years we are even.

And Sheffield United were the last team in the Premiership if you want history to be judged over the last 5 years.

And Doncaster and Barnsley are in a league above you if you want history to be based on an even smaller scale.

But you only want that one window where you actually can manipulate the stats in your favour. Arrogant.

I'd say living memory was a reasonable time-scale. Nobody's saying we're any good anymore. We're an embarrassment to ourselves and a laughing stock to everyone else. And rightly so.

Besides, as you're well aware one can skew stats any way they like. And yes, I'm guilty of it. If I were to clutch at straws, I could say that the stats were misrepresentative as two of your league titles and two of your FA Cup titles came before Leeds United ever existed as a football club.

And I can honestly say, you were never EVER magnificent. All teams have good spells. You may have had a few in a few games. But that is all.

Talk about deluded.

Except in this instance I'm not the one who's deluded. I'm well aware that for most of the 90s and all of the last 7 years our football has been mediocre at best, and usually several grades below mediocre. But for a brief two-year spell at the start of the decade we played lovely, flair-filled football. And I say this as someone who actually watched all the games during that period, which I sincerely doubt you did, and yet you see fit to dismiss it despite having no knowledge of the subject.

It is very, very frustrating that there is a very small minority of Leeds 'fans' who see fit to act disgracefully wherever they go, and leave the endless thousands of the rest of us who just want to support the team and watch some football getting tarnished with some dirty arrogant thugs brush that, frankly, the vast, vast majority of supporters are not deserving of.

Except it's not really a small minority, is it? In the case of Leeds, it's a sizeable minority - here's a couple of examples of the behaviour of typical Leeds fans; one about attacking opposition fans in wheelchairs;

http://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/news/Leeds-United-thugs-attacked-disabled.3648545.jp

and another about how they reacted to the Bradford fire tragedy in 1985 in the way only Leeds fans know how - by going to a game at Bradford's temporary home at Odsal and trying to burn that ground down as well!

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/why-leeds-no-longer-have-place-in-mccalls-affections-599719.html

And lest you think all that's in the past, cast your mind back only as far as last week, when, while queueing for play off final tickets, the Leeds fans decided to start fighting each other!

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/video-and-audio/Fans-slate-Leeds-United-ticket.4106809.jp

But of the hundreds of thousands of supporters, and of the 30,000 or so that attend fixtures regularly, there are a couple of hundred of the so-called 'hardcore' that see fit to tarnish the name of the club by any means possible. Over 99% of our supporters fully condemn this behaviour and hate these 'supporters' just as much as, if not more, than the fans of any team that has come under fire from them. They are not representative of the vast, vast majority of our fanbase and it's sad that they are the ones on which we are judged. Still, it could be worse, I could support Roma :)

Archived