Can we start laughing at Leeds United yet?

BasilRathbon

In other words, a bit like being German when you have been born since 1945, and you're tarred with the same brush as generations before.

Having the past rammed down their throats for sixty odd years, has started to make some of the youinger intelligent members of their society, rebel now (and hate the Dutch because of all the past taunts).

Something, that I guess, you've got to live with for a while :)

Quite, very frustrating being 25 years younger than the 'fans' who would demolish towns before and after matches in the 70s and still be assumed to be a violent good-for-nothing goon. I'm just wondering if it'll ever stop!

I was surpsied at that too, but on the last occasion I saw him he felt it necessary to keep falling down in his own half, each time the opposition mounted a serious attack!

Maybe he just can't stand up :)

He did score for us in a UEFA Cup game against one of the teams from one of those cities where the teams have weird names (it was Dynamo Moscow or Partizan Belgrade) where he slipped and fell unchallenged as a corner came in, just fell over his own feet, the ball bounced towards him and he scored an overhead kick whilst sitting on his backside! And he did once play the last 74 minutes of a game for us against Man Utd in goal, and didn't concede till the 72nd minute, so presumably pretty good at diving :)

Quite, very frustrating being 25 years younger than the 'fans' who would demolish towns before and after matches in the 70s and still be assumed to be a violent good-for-nothing goon. I'm just wondering if it'll ever stop!

Probably not while memories from the past are still personally there, amongst those taunting you..

I suppose my own "dislike" of Leeds originated from as a 13 year old on the terraces at Elland Road, receiving in those days what was termed as a "good kicking" from a group of youths considerably older than me.

That was early 66, at the time a generally unknown experience, at least a year before such events became more commonplace and regular elsewhere.

Bt the time a similar thing happened at the feet of Mancs some 22 months later, I was starting to get used to it, and by the time some Hammers took a disliking to me after a suspiciously offside looking 87th minute equaliser, my athletics track training enabled an escape, but from then on I didn't wear colours away.

Considerable credit to you though, for coming on here to defend your corner.

Hope that one day, you put all this experience behind you and get to like Sheffield!

Probably not while memories from the past are still personally there, amongst those taunting you..

I suppose my own "dislike" of Leeds originated from as a 13 year old on the terraces at Elland Road, receiving in those days what was termed as a "good kicking" from a group of youths considerably older than me.

That was early 66, at the time a generally unknown experience, at least a year before such events became more commonplace and regular elsewhere.

Bt the time a similar thing happened at the feet of Mancs some 22 months later, I was starting to get used to it, and by the time some Hammers took a disliking to me after a suspiciously offside looking 87th minute equaliser, my athletics track training saved the day.

Considerable credit to you though, for coming on here to defend your corner.

Hope that one day, you put all this experience behind you and get to like Sheffield!

Thanks, though defending my corner is proving harder than I'd anticipated. I thought it would be a case of "hello, I support Leeds, we used to be good but fail, now we're rubbish and fail even more, you let me happily support my team and I'll do the same to you", but clearly I was naive in my thinking. It was easy when I lived in Bradford when I got the endless "aaaaaah, you're s**t", as it was always counter-able with "yes but we're (at least) a division above you". Sadly that's no longer applicable :)

I've been going to watch Leeds for around 12-13 years now, and I've worn my Leeds shirt to Hillsbrough, Old Trafford, Valley Parade and numerous other 'hostile' grounds to us, and I've never in my life witnessed any violence at or around a game. I've had a few sarcy remarks outside grounds, but I've never seen anyone throw a punch. Maybe I've just been lucky. Certainly there were punches thrown at Portman Road last year, but I wasn't there.

My knowledge of major violence at Leeds matches during my years of attendance stretch to two games, one on the giving end (Ipswich, where some of our 'fans' threw missiles at disabled opposition fans), and one on the receiving end (Galatasaray, where two of our fans were murdered by the opposition supporters), so I find it hard to understand where all this pure hate comes from.

Just because none of them have gone on to do anything of merit since leaving doesn't mean they weren't great with us. We beat Man Utd, and Arsenal, and Chelsea, and Liverpool, and were the last English team in the Champions League, and looked on target to win the league but bottled it at the last minute like we always do.

Ferdinand, Radebe, Dacourt, Batty et al are obviously talentless hacks. In much the same way as Waddle, Hirst, Carbone, di Canio and Walker.

Sorry but did you just cite Batty, Dacourt and Radebe in an attempt to substantiate your bizarre claim that Leeds played 'the most attractive football in the country' :loopy:

I'm not really the one who's delusional, since you appear to be of the mind that we are the worst team in history, worthy of nothing and would play better football if all our players were replaced with heroin addicts who are all dead.

I never said any such thing, why don't you try responding to what people actually post instead of strawmen of your own invention.

Sorry but did you just cite Batty, Dacourt and Radebe in an attempt to substantiate your bizarre claim that Leeds played 'the most attractive football in the country' :loopy:

I never said any such thing, why don't you try responding to what people actually post instead of strawmen of your own invention.

I LOVE the way you accuse me of not "responding to what people actually post" and then mysteriously omit Kewell from the list of players I gave! And yes, I did cite those players. Batty was a great tackler and great player of through balls. Dacourt was a similar player.

I admit my 'the most attractive football in the country' comment may have been a bit flippant, but I certainly stand by us being the second most attractive behind the brilliant Arsenal team (of the Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Viera and Petit era). This was before Chelsea bought a new team and Liverpool got some half-decent players, and at the time Manchester United weren't playing attractive football, they were winning by grinding out results with a solid team, and a lot of the time relied on Solskjaer and/or Sheringham to win them matches with last-minute goals (yes, I'm well aware we've won most of our matches this season with last-minute goals!), not dissimilar to Chelsea of late. They certainly weren't playing the lovely, fast passing game the current team is.

Yes, I know we didn't win anything, but I just can't understand your resistance to my claim that maybe, just maybe, a team that finished in the Premiership top 5 for five straight years (three consecutive years inside the top 4, sadly before the 4th place CL spot was awarded) and reached two consecutive European semi-finals might actually have been a half-decent side.

I have nothing to say on this matter.....but
do :hihi:

OK it goes on for nearly 6 minutes but you get the gist

Brilliant!! :D:D Haven't got a clue what the other bit they're singing is though, all I can make out is the 'F' Off bit!!

Do you reckon we could set a world record by getting them to sing that at every single ground in the country at the same time?

Brilliant!! :D:D Haven't got a clue what the other bit they're singing is though, all I can make out is the 'F' Off bit!!

Do you really not know? There's enough clips of different ManU supporters singing it on YouTube, just listen to some others:D My personal fave is the one with the bald guy in black leading the chant ... he's just so enthusiastic about it!

This one!

I LOVE the way you accuse me of not "responding to what people actually post" and then mysteriously omit Kewell from the list of players I gave! And yes, I did cite those players. Batty was a great tackler and great player of through balls. Dacourt was a similar player.

Of course I didn't mention him as unlike the others you listed he was capable of playing attractive football so it's wasn't laughable for you to cite him, Batty and Dacourt however, well they may have been reasonably effective in their way but exciting players of attractive football they most certainly were not.

I admit my 'the most attractive football in the country' comment may have been a bit flippant, but I certainly stand by us being the second most attractive behind the brilliant Arsenal team (of the Henry, Bergkamp, Pires, Viera and Petit era). This was before Chelsea bought a new team and Liverpool got some half-decent players, and at the time Manchester United weren't playing attractive football, they were winning by grinding out results with a solid team, and a lot of the time relied on Solskjaer and/or Sheringham to win them matches with last-minute goals (yes, I'm well aware we've won most of our matches this season with last-minute goals!), not dissimilar to Chelsea of late. They certainly weren't playing the lovely, fast passing game the current team is.

What complete rubbish United in 01-02 did anything but 'grind out results with a solid team' they were top scorers in the league with 87 and after having lost Stam were anything but solid. They were nothing like Chelsea and if anything suffered from being excessively free flowing, a criticism which certainly can't be made of Chelsea.

Yes, I know we didn't win anything, but I just can't understand your resistance to my claim that maybe, just maybe, a team that finished in the Premiership top 5 for five straight years (three consecutive years inside the top 4, sadly before the 4th place CL spot was awarded) and reached two consecutive European semi-finals might actually have been a half-decent side.

Once again why can't you respond to what people actually post? I never said Leeds weren't a decent side back then, what I did say is that your claim that Leeds played 'the most attractive football in the country' ' 8 years ago' was complete rubbish as at that time both United and Arsenal had teams packed full of creative players playing brilliant football.

Archived