Can we start laughing at Leeds United yet?

BasilRathbon

Yeah it was so unfair the way the rules were applied to you despite your boards pitiful attempts to find a loophole :roll:

Do you blame the club for looking for a way round our punishment? There is NO OTHER CLUB IN THE WORLD who would lie down and not attempt to get away with it.

Of course I didn't mention him as unlike the others you listed he was capable of playing attractive football so it's wasn't laughable for you to cite him, Batty and Dacourt however, well they may have been reasonably effective in their way but exciting players of attractive football they most certainly were not.

I disagree, Batty was very entertaining to watch. I love hard tacklers and people who played at pace. Batty was also an excellent passer of the ball.

However, thats the past. The present is not so attractive.

But we are still the Biggest team in Europe, of that let there be no doubt.

I will defend Leeds to the bitter end, but that's just a stupid thing to say. Unless you mean all our players are too fat :)

I disagree, Batty was very entertaining to watch. I love hard tacklers and people who played at pace. Batty was also an excellent passer of the ball.

However, thats the past. The present is not so attractive.

And so aholey brings us right back round to the starting argument - Leeds fans are unbelievabley (if not ridiculously) arrogant to the point of delusional.

And so aholey brings us right back round to the starting argument - Leeds fans are unbelievabley (if not ridiculously) arrogant to the point of delusional.

No, that one Leeds fan is. Read my above post.

Leeds are a big team with a substantial global fanbase and as a club are much bigger than the teams around us. I would imagine (although I'm in no way stating this as fact) that in terms of fanbase and global name recognition, we are the biggest team outside the Premiership. But I don't believe most fans are in any way deluded enough to think that we are bigger than Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real and the big Italian teams.

Leeds are a big team with a substantial global fanbase and as a club are much bigger than the teams around us. I would imagine (although I'm in no way stating this as fact) that in terms of fanbase and global name recognition, we are the biggest team outside the Premiership. But I don't believe most fans are in any way deluded enough to think that we are bigger than Man Utd, Liverpool, Barcelona, Real and the big Italian teams.

Once again another thread littered with arrogance.

If you are such a big club with such a big fan base, why was your average attendance two seasons ago just over 21,000? A lot less than both Sheffield teams?

You aren't anywhere near as big a club as you make out.

And as for global fanbase - don't make me laugh! (do you have any proof?).

It's just a thought, but have Leeds considered asking Man Utd if they can be their "nursery" team? It's quite a common concept in other European countries; one of the big league giants "adopts" a little club in one of the bottom divisions and allows them to field their youth and reserve team players in return for having first option on any promising youngsters the nursery club produces.

And if you ask Man Utd and they turn you down, you could ask other bigger local clubs like Sheffield United or Man City, for example.

It's just a thought, but have Leeds considered asking Man Utd if they can be their "nursery" team? It's quite a common concept in other European countries; one of the big league giants "adopts" a little club in one of the bottom divisions and allows them to field their youth and reserve team players in return for having first option on any promising youngsters the nursery club produces.

And if you ask Man Utd and they turn you down, you could ask other bigger local clubs like Sheffield United or Man City, for example.

I thought they already had that arrangement - remember Cantona, Ferdinand, Alan Smith. :hihi:

Once again another thread littered with arrogance.

If you are such a big club with such a big fan base, why was your average attendance two seasons ago just over 21,000? A lot less than both Sheffield teams?

You aren't anywhere near as big a club as you make out.

And as for global fanbase - don't make me laugh! (do you have any proof?).

Our average all-time attendance is 25,634 (correct up to May 2006).

We are 10th. The top 10 are:

Man Utd (36,885)

Liverpool (33,773)

Spurs (33,437)

Arsenal (32,213)

Chelsea (31,322)

Newcastle (31,038)

Everton (31,023)

Man City (28,631)

Villa (27,992)

Leeds (25,634)

Wednesday are 13th with 21,285 and United are 18th with 18,939. Note how we are the ONLY team on that list not in the Premiership, as I stated. And, as a side note, the only team on that list from Yorkshire...

I can't find the stats for two years ago, but I'll take your word for it and I don't know the cause, although I suspect it was because we were still charging £40 a ticket at that point to watch a Championship team, which is stupid. Even the current £20 I think is a bit much for the quality of teams we're playing (and the quality of team we are, to be fair!). That isn't an excuse, but it's an educated guess as, assuming your stat is actually correct, I can't think of another reason why a team playing well in the Championship (we made the play-off final that year - and got humiliated) would attract 4,500 less people on average than the current team playing in League One.

But for this season, our average attendance is 25,720. Sheffield United's is 25,631 and Wednesday's is 21,410. So despite being a division below, we are still averaging better than both Sheffield teams, and have a substantially higher historical average than either of them.

As for the global fanbase, I've looked quickly for proof and have come up with nothing, so I shall gladly retract that comment as being misinformed speculation on my part until I can find something.

It's an interesting idea. I like it in principal, although we could never do it with Man Utd, there would be major fan objection (because, sadly, many of us won't put our prejudices behind us even if it means better football on our part). But I think that Ken might be a bit big for his boots in this regard, I don't think his (or the club as a whole's) ego would allow us to effectively become somebody else's reserve team.

That's a poor attempt at trolling, I shall not rise to your bait :)

Archived